My Vigilant coal is not heating my home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fgb5

Dec 8, 2008
Vermont
I have a new Vermont Casting Vigilant coal stove. I struggle to get this stove up to 600 degrees. When it is up to 600 it barely heats my house. I have a thermostat right next to the stove and it was reading 62 this morning. Granted it is 0 outside but my back rooms are in the 50's. Does anyone have any idea what could be happening. I am trying to heat approx. 1600 - 2000(if the heat gets upstairs). I am burning anthricite and I have removed the inside lower panel that is necessary for my application. I am baffled! Should I try an outside air kit? I do not believe my house to be super tight. I am on a slab that is basically one level with one room upstairs. I have fans everywhere as well. I also believe that I have a strong draft. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Status
Not open for further replies.