My wife IDd it as Sycamore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I called it Camo wood. Is she right?

Attachments

• 102310 score.jpg
    102310 score.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 433
Sycamore it is! Go ISU! Cheers!

She's right. Did you happen to notice if the camo pattern went all the way down to the base? (Wondering which type of sycamore it is)

Matt

I never saw the tree, picked it up at the curb. I'm going back tomorrow for a Norway, I'll see if the base is still there.

haha, yep, as usual, SHE"S RIGHT!!!!

Sycamore, can be tough to split at times, but your stuff looks pretty straight grained so it may be a tad easier.

Dries to a rather lightweight, fast burnin' wood though, kinda like maple I'd say.

ansehnlich1 said:
haha, yep, as usual, SHE"S RIGHT!!!!

lol, she always is. Just ask her.

Sycamore is perhaps one of the trees that is difficult to not recognize! It is quite unique.

Siberian Elm.

Well now I know what to tell my neighbor who ask if I knew what type of tree was in his yard. It's embarassing being "the guy with all the wood" and having to admit being clueless about many of the species around.

It won't split. It has a twist in the grain along the trunk. You can split/shred it with a splitter into splits, but a Maul won't work. Great wood to burn once you get it to the size you want.

midwestcoast said:
It's embarassing being "the guy with all the wood" and having to admit being clueless about many of the species around.

Doesn't bother me, I learn something on almost every scrounge.

It wasn't pretty but it split. Don't think there is one good looking split out of the whole tree.

Attachments

• 102210 Sycamore split.jpg
    102210 Sycamore split.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 269
  • 102210 processed.jpg
    102210 processed.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 276
SolarAndWood said:
It wasn't pretty but it split. Don't think there is one good looking split out of the whole tree.

Solar that is some different looking wood, does it split like elm?

zap

The elm I got earlier this week split like a dream compared to this and produced good looking square splits. I'm on my way out to get a big maple. I'll get that processed to hide the Sycamore as it is bringing down the image of the heap.

SolarAndWood said:
The elm I got earlier this week split like a dream compared to this and produced good looking square splits. I'm on my way out to get a big maple. I'll get that processed to hide the Sycamore as it is bringing down the image of the heap.

Another nice score, is it sugar maple?

zap

Not that lucky. It's a Norway but its only 5 miles from home and already bucked.

Alright, pretty lucky. There and back in an hour flat.

Attachments

• 102410 Norway score.jpg
    102410 Norway score.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 242
SolarAndWood said:
Alright, pretty lucky. There and back in an hour flat.

Solar nice load of maple, the rain is letting up here so it looks like I'll get another area ready for stacking then run up top for a load of maple.

zap

The rain let up here too and it turned into a pretty nice day. I think we have Sycamore and Elm so that when we have a load of straight maple to process we really appreciate it. I bet it takes half the time to split.

Attachments

• 102410 Norway processed.jpg
    102410 Norway processed.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 155
Nice pile of wood solar, after I said it was letting up it started pouring again so I cleaned the saws and then the chimney. Rained all day here so the stacking never started.

zap

Sorry to hear that Zap. Leaves were just about at peak, birds are migrating and the maple was pure pleasure to split after the last 3 cord I processed.

Status
Not open for further replies.