My Wife Just Called.... It's too Warm In Here!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireWalker

Feeling the Heat
Aug 7, 2008
Lake George
:)

Last evening at 6 I split in half a 12" round piece of oak 10" long and put them all the way in the back. On top of them I put a 24" long bent 5" oak round with a ball of knots ay one end. Then I kindled a fire in front of the oak and set on top of it a long 6" yellow birch round. Before bed I added 1 honey locust split. It's now 4:45 the next day and it's too hot in there.

:coolsmile:

thats the nice thing about being the fire tender, you can contorl the temp in the house..."too hot, you say?"....."take off some clothes!"

Just tell her, it's not the stove. She is just so sexy that it is making you hot and that's what is heating up the room. That way you might just get lucky in 2 ways one not getting yelled at and the other you decide.
Don

So thats how I have to get my wife naked!

Firewalker, it is not winter yet!!!!!! Don't put so much wood in that thing. We put 2 or 3 splits of softwood at this time of the year and don't add. Just let it go out.

yeah, it's easier to say than to do...

once you start putting your wood in, it's hard to stop.... just putting a couple in then saying your done is tough... i like to keep loading her up with wood.... until it's uncomfortably hot

trailblaze said:
yeah, it's easier to say than to do...

once you start putting your wood in, it's hard to stop.... just putting a couple in then saying your done is tough... i like to keep loading her up with wood.... until it's uncomfortably hot

I'm imagining what Mr. Roper/ Mr. Furley would think reading that.

trailblaze - 17 October 2008 01:05 PM
yeah, it’s easier to say than to do…

once you start putting your wood in, it’s hard to stop.... just putting a couple in then saying your done is tough… i like to keep loading her up with wood.... until it’s uncomfortably hot

I’m imagining what Mr. Roper/ Mr. Furley would think reading that.

I'm thinking they would think that Jack has been a naughty boy. Of course with other men as far as they know. That Jack sure could pull the wool over their eyes.

Dam it getting hot in here. :red:

Backwoods Savage said:
Firewalker, it is not winter yet!!!!!! Don't put so much wood in that thing. We put 2 or 3 splits of softwood at this time of the year and don't add. Just let it go out.

Just trying to clean up some of the wood pile junk. And hey, it was 39 this morning up here in the woods. Besides, she thinks it's too warm when it's 73 inside!

Man, you guys need some magazines or something. :coolsmirk:

It gets cold up here, forcasting 26 tonight. I expect from here on, there will be some state of fire in my stove until spring. Unless of course I want to burn oil............. Nooooooooooooooo. My leaves are past peak and mostly on the ground. Next week I'll be raking!

*tosses a bucket of ice water on "Youse Guys" :smirk:

:kiss:

Dropping down to the 30's tonight. House plants are in :coolsmile:

And as I know it'll be chilly in the AM, I'm warming up the house, playing with east & west, and north, and south , AND I'm playing with 2 puppies
10_06_11.jpg

And a doggone cute set of puppies at that.

Yo Firewalker,I figured that wife of yours would be having some "Oh my God" quotes regarding your Equinox.You might as well start listing all her remarks as the cold weather progresses.Should be fun.

FW its must be getting cold at the lake . I just started to burn my EQ Ive been loading around 5 splits and closing the damper after it gets hot . The next day its still warm . I am having a hard time with the side load. The old DW was easy to load from the side . I'm not really liking the heat tubs on the top of the stove , They stop me from loading a third log on top of the pile . The old HI was much higher I could get 3 12" logs in the box . I mite have to become a front load kinda guy. I do like the way the air blows on the bottom of the fire to start it. Last night it was 34o I think i can run at 1/2 to 3/4 capacity when its in the 20s. during the day when its in the 30 it dosnt take much to keep the house warm . This stove really cooks . I need to get used to burn in the new stove. If your wife gets to hot just wash her down with a wet wash cloth . You mite even get some fire wood helpers out of the deal.

FireWalker said:
:)

Last evening at 6 I split in half a 12" round piece of oak 10" long and put them all the way in the back. On top of them I put a 24" long bent 5" oak round with a ball of knots ay one end. Then I kindled a fire in front of the oak and set on top of it a long 6" yellow birch round. Before bed I added 1 honey locust split. It's now 4:45 the next day and it's too hot in there.

:coolsmile:

Have you tried cracking a window?

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
*tosses a bucket of ice water on "Youse Guys" :smirk:

:kiss:

Dropping down to the 30's tonight. House plants are in :coolsmile:

And as I know it'll be chilly in the AM, I'm warming up the house, playing with east & west, and north, and south , AND I'm playing with 2 puppies
10_06_11.jpg

Izzat some kinda hound dog? Nice puppy. We have a Plott Hound, it's a bear hunting dog.

Rich L said:
Yo Firewalker,I figured that wife of yours would be having some "Oh my God" quotes regarding your Equinox.You might as well start listing all her remarks as the cold weather progresses.Should be fun.

I think she is still holding her judgement until it really gets cold. It's real easy to overheat with this stove, especially when it's only cold over night. The best part so far is the lack of smoke in the house. With the old Duchwest, backpuffing was hard to avoid this time of year, no such problems with the Beast.

Fear not, I'll keep a list positive or negative.

wellbuilt home said:
FW its must be getting cold at the lake . I just started to burn my EQ Ive been loading around 5 splits and closing the damper after it gets hot . The next day its still warm . I am having a hard time with the side load. The old DW was easy to load from the side . I'm not really liking the heat tubs on the top of the stove , They stop me from loading a third log on top of the pile . The old HI was much higher I could get 3 12" logs in the box . I mite have to become a front load kinda guy. I do like the way the air blows on the bottom of the fire to start it. Last night it was 34o I think i can run at 1/2 to 3/4 capacity when its in the 20s. during the day when its in the 30 it dosnt take much to keep the house warm . This stove really cooks . I need to get used to burn in the new stove. If your wife gets to hot just wash her down with a wet wash cloth . You mite even get some fire wood helpers out of the deal.

It is getting colder up here, I needed a fire all day yesterday as it never made 50. I have now switched to using the side door. When filling the firebox thru the front door on a big coal bed I have had some hot coal spillage. Small fire front door, big fire side door seems to be the way.

You are correct, the ceiling/burn tubes of this stove limit your ability to stack multiple layers of wood inside. Compared with the Duchwest, it's a disappointment as I could stuff a lot of wood in that thing without the risk damaging anything. You need to pay attention to the splits you select when loading the EQ.. Rake coals forward and try to get a good tight double stack at the back and then move forward with the rest of your load. Longer burn times are achieved this way. I put in 4 splits last night before bed and used the side door, when I looked thru the glass I saw that the top corner of one of them was up between the tubes and dangerously close to the top baffle which I understand to be very delicate, not good. Another problem with side door loading is when the split goes in it's hard to hold the far end up so as not to push the coal bed to the far end of the box where they are less efficient in establishing a new fire.

I'm now convinced, this stove likes long fuel and I have two years worth of regular size splits (16" - 18") There is no good layout in this box to take full advantage of my 4.0 cubic feet with 17" wood, you end up with dead air space at the east and west ends. We were in the lower 20's this morning and my 4 split load from 11:00 last night was just a bed of coals at 7:00 this am and it was 70 in the house. The damper was set all the way to low so it's clear when it gets colder outside I'll have to edge up the damper setting and load sometime over the night if I want to maintain 70. I wish I had some longer (24"-26") seasoned wood to experiment with.

Like anything it will take a while to get the hang of it, so far I am very happy

FireWalker said:
wellbuilt home said:

It is getting colder up here, I needed a fire all day yesterday as it never made 50. I have now switched to using the side door. When filling the firebox thru the front door on a big coal bed I have had some hot coal spillage. Small fire front door, big fire side door seems to be the way.

You are correct, the ceiling/burn tubes of this stove limit your ability to stack multiple layers of wood inside. Compared with the Duchwest, it's a disappointment as I could stuff a lot of wood in that thing without the risk damaging anything. You need to pay attention to the splits you select when loading the EQ.. Rake coals forward and try to get a good tight double stack at the back and then move forward with the rest of your load. Longer burn times are achieved this way. I put in 4 splits last night before bed and used the side door, when I looked thru the glass I saw that the top corner of one of them was up between the tubes and dangerously close to the top baffle which I understand to be very delicate, not good. Another problem with side door loading is when the split goes in it's hard to hold the far end up so as not to push the coal bed to the far end of the box where they are less efficient in establishing a new fire.

I'm now convinced, this stove likes long fuel and I have two years worth of regular size splits (16" - 18") There is no good layout in this box to take full advantage of my 4.0 cubic feet with 17" wood, you end up with dead air space at the east and west ends. We were in the lower 20's this morning and my 4 split load from 11:00 last night was just a bed of coals at 7:00 this am and it was 70 in the house. The damper was set all the way to low so it's clear when it gets colder outside I'll have to edge up the damper setting and load sometime over the night if I want to maintain 70. I wish I had some longer (24"-26") seasoned wood to experiment with.

Like anything it will take a while to get the hang of it, so far I am very happy
Yo Firewalker,do you have a pipe damper installed?If not I think you can get longer burns with one if your draft is good.I put one in my Mansfield and since I'm getting a good overnight burn without having to get up at night to reload the stove.Before the pipe damper the stove burned the wood up too fast with the stove damper all the way closed.If you slow down the draft on your stove you should achieve overnight heat no sweat er while sweating.

Status
Not open for further replies.