My wife just told me to build a woodshed... or two

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobish

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2015
Golden CO
My wife was running the splitter yesterday (it was labor day, so we had to labor) and we were talking about where a good spot to stack the wood would be. we have been trying to come up with a good plan, and she just said, "why don't we build a shed right here in the driveway. then when we get wood dropped off, we can split it here, then just stack it".

I promptly replied, "that would be great. Why don't we build 2 of them? 1 on either side of the gate, then we could put the splitter in there and keep it covered."

she said; "that's a great idea... then its all covered, and we don't have to walk up the hill with the wood.... and it still dries out".

I love my wife :)

So, now I need to get planning.... 1st step is to get the wood that is in the way cut and split (we've been making progress), then get my friend to move his boat, then start building! This will be our second season burning, and we have a nanny and the kids in the house this year, so we will see how much wood we will go through this year. Once we get far enough ahead, we will probably try and come up with a good spot out back to dry the stuff for 2-3 years down the line, but i'm not there yet!

This is where i am thinking about putting 1 of them. it is roughly 10 feet wide (the gate is by the last log on the right, opens in), and i have 5 feet before I hit the other gate (opens out, by last rock on left). I figure I can get roughly 1.5 cord on that side.
20160405_171648.jpg

On the other side, I have roughly 15 feet, and without filling in some big hills, i could go the same depth. If i want a spot to keep the splitter, I would have to figure something out. Below is a picture when we were putting the yard together, but you can see the fence on the left that the second shed would go.
20150614_164616.jpg

Reactions: Hasufel
You lost me after the first seven words.

A shed under which you can work in the rain or hot sun is ideal, if you can find a way.

Reactions: Chap
we can't go too big, because its a driveway and it is also access to the back back yard.... i'm not too worried about needing to work in the rain and sun, as I don't work in the rain very often, and it is always sunny here, but I could easily set up a sunshade if needed.

Before you go crazy building, check your local restrictions. Most places there is a limit to how close you can build to a property line.

Before you go crazy building, check your local restrictions. Most places there is a limit to how close you can build to a property line.

no problem there. my property line is well past the 8' restriction from where I would want to put the shed. the shed would be roughly 20' from the line.

So last night I spent an hour with the splitter and got a little under a cord split and some of it stacked. As i was splitting, I pulled some of the willow and other assorted wood that was shown in the picture and made a mess of that pile. there were some pieces that were too long to split, and I figured it was a good time to rearrange. I pulled out all the long stuff, made room for a few pallets, and finished stacking what was split. It is so nice to see nice neat piles of stacked wood, as opposed to things just piled up all over. I am definitely getting more motivated to get through the big messy piles now that it is getting a little cooler. The shed won't happen this year, but I will at least be able to top cover and my neighbors won't have to look at piles of sticks and logs for too much longer.

In my area you have to stay 25 feet from setbacks.

city of golden is 25 feet from the front, and 5 feet from sides and back. either way, I am good. I measured last night and it is 28 feet to the edge of the property.

Hey yeah I forgot it was different for sides and back. Golden CO? Nice, We are in Big Elk Meadows, half way between Lyons and Estes Park. Is it warmer down south there?

Our township has a combined 100 feet (with none less than 40 feet) on side and rear line set backs, and the front is something like 140 feet minimum.

R2 is 15 front, 5 side, 10 back. The outside line is my property. yellow is currently where wood is sort of stacked or piled. red is proposed shed area where i could get around 3 cord total.... you can't really tell in this picture, but there are some decent sized hills just outside the fence. I was originally thinking about terracing these with pallets so i could stack some wood there when i get a few years ahead.... when it is cleared out enough, i could drive back there and dump wood, but that is not an option right now.

property layout_wood.jpg

aerial view 2016_2.PNG

Attachments

• ZoningInformation.pdf
    190 KB · Views: 134
Status
Not open for further replies.