My wife says I am weird......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife didn't understand at first. It's been a three year process since we bought the house. First year sucked for wood. We had non seasoned wood and it was just not good. Then last year I showed her what seasoned wood looked like she slowly started to understand. Now she gets it. When it hits single digits or we lose power she loves having that stove cookin. So when I am gone all day cutting wood while she is watching junior, she understands.

Working on three year plan. But, we have a open flat spot to stack out of sight from the house. 8 Pallets per stack , next stack far enough away to mow between.

I had someone at the office the other day notice I was on hearth. They asked me why is there a site dedicated to wood? There cant be that much to talk about!

I have 30 some odd cord stacked around the perimeter of my lot ( 2 sides), ya, I hear about it from neighbors every so often. So about a week ago one of them was riding bikes with the off spring and stopped and wanted to know how much time I was burning the stove cause they never see smoke. Told him 24/7 from just about now until sometime in late spring. He was quite surprised.

I've got between 45-50 cord, but the majority of it is hidden from view when the leaves are on the trees. During fall/winter you can see the partial stacks from the road but can't really see how much there really is. It's just those who have seen the stacks and have been told by others who are the ones who think I have lost my mind. Some of those also think the wood will be "too dry" to burn....lmao.

JRHAWK9 & Blades...I was reading through a few of the earlier posts and in my best "Wayne and Garth" impersonation...

I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy...! ! !

That's just amazingly impressive.

Wife loads starts and feeds the stove on her own. Only the big load up before bed is my job.
She grumbled a bit about the new saw and splitter this year, but she got a new dishwasher so it all evened out.
She knows the web is my guide to better burning so no complaints there.
I only got the complaints this summer when I spent most of it building a boat and camper. She was afraid we might not have enough wood to burn all winter.
During the coldest of the winter I'll be in the basement building more boats, that is more likely to cause grumbling than the wood stove.

My wife says I'm crazy...not weird. Fortunately, she is a big fan of wood heat too. But she doesn't get how I actually get enjoyment out of splitting and stacking wood.
Don't tell her you do, or you won't be able to count wood splitting time toward your points total.

The wife has seen how many people have wanted my wood over the years, and feels how much warmer the house is. She only thinks weird is being 10 years ahead and still looking for more. Have you seen any?

Reactions: D8Chumley
*shakes head @ this thread*

;)

1st year was a stressful mess as the gf and I moved into a new house last November in New England. Finding wood was difficult and it was bubbling away in the smoke dragon, and had my gf complaining about the smoke every other day (think princess nose).

She got tired real quick of always hearing about buying wood, splitting wood, stacking wood, seasoned wood. Yep, many eye rolls. But she underestimated the power of hearth.com...

New stove, better wood, and this forum has made the difference. The gf loves the stove and falls asleep on my lap almost every night on the couch.

Have the beer/remote in hand when this happens and a back up beer on the coffee table...

My wife knows I'm weird. She grew up in Hawaii with just screens, no windows, so we have 5 ceiling fans running 24/7 and if it gets real cold only one Window open. I don't make enough money to pay for that, so wood heat allows for the windows to be open and the house to stay warm. Our dogs send most of the winter in front of the wood stove and my wife loves the heat.

Update:
After several nights with lows in the 30s. I am not weird anymore.......now my wife has learned to fire the stove and gave the green light to cut as much wood as I want for the next two to three years.

My wife actually asked me why I hadn't started the stove up tonight. Success!

Been warm (60's) the last two days, but dropping into the 40's tonight.

My wife thinks I'm weird too, but fully supports my wood weirdness. She says I talk to all my "woodies" on hearth.com. She was impressed at the oil savings last year and this year with the new 30NC upstairs I have been able to keep the whole house toasty warm and not a drop of oil burned for heat. We've had some cold nights already with lows in the 20s and so we have been burning off and on for the past couple of weeks - albeit just my shoulder season stuff. She really gets enthused when neighbors and friends walk in our house and say, "Wow! It's so warm in here!" When they hear we haven't burned any oil, they have this look on their face of "why am I not doing this?" She now gets worried if I go too long without cutting, splitting,and stacking.

BC - alas the old reverse psychology method-

Reactions: BigCountryNY
Status
Not open for further replies.