my wife wants a vent free- gas log set:(((((((( HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
went browsing today and the store was very toasty and heated from only a 30 inch vent free gas log set
i thought my wife was gonna lose it when she saw the remote control
she won't stop talking about it
she wants it in the BASEMENT!!!! (thats MANS LAND or used to be..lol)
i can't allow this, i need negative facts about these things so please help
I did tell her that they shouldn't run more than 3 hrs at a time so she will be hot and cold....
anyone else?

Just make up a bunch of lies. Tell her it will cause odors.

vent free = carbon monoxide in house

" " = BAD ALLERGIES!!

" " Efficiency my @$$- Show her the bill now, and let her pay the next one.

Hope this helps.

Bob

As Cramer says "Don't Buy, Don't Buy!"....

Actually, used in an open fireplace you always have the option of opening the damper a little...or a lot if the weather and room gets too warm. For use a couple hours here and there that might be fine.

But if you are going to use as total unvented, you will have to deal with a lot of issues over the years. These are very highly tuned, so when dirt, dust and age affect them they are likely to create more odor and problems. Also, if you have other materials (paint, carpet) which outgas in the house, the vent free will pull those odors in, and spew them out as nasty stuff.

You should only use them attended, meaning sitting in the room. Also, if anyone in the family is pregnant or has respiratory problems, I say a no-no...

On the pro side, if it is for really occasional use and a possible backup when the power goes out....could be the lowest price way to do this.

The 'LOGS' are made of asbestos covered metal, hand painted with lead paint by children in China.
or
You lose the man-land- she loses rights to all remote controls !

My uncle built a new open floorplan 3200 square foot ranch. Located in the middle of the house is a vent free fireplace. They paid 2500 for it with all the bells and whistles. They can't use it because it gives my aunt severe headaches, and causes problems with her breathing. They said they have contacted many companies and it will cost then roughly 3,000 to have a vent installed outside for a different unit. We wanted one for our back living room and they advised against it. Im sure they are okay for some, but I am not willing to take any chances. After talking to someone who has one, I won't.

divorce her (and after she takes everything move into a log cabin with a small woodstove and a dog) ;)

Just kidding

gas is $$$$$$$$$$

wood is $

iceman said:
ITS ALL OVER NOW THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!
that stuff was scary....

iceman,
I have seen some of the articles you posted before. I am so glad you found them and apparently were able to reason with your wife.

The possible loss of your "man cave" pales in comparison to the potential health problems.
~Cath

Cmon man, man up, tell her the MAN CAVE is just that, and don't give it up until shes stepping over your cold, dead body to enter it. ;)

True
Man up and tell her that you are moving AWAY from dependency on utilities, not towards it.

She already has a remote anyway:

Honey, I'm cold?
Honey, should we light a fire?
Honey, should we put another log or two on?
Honey, I'M HOT!

lol you guys are funny!!!
THERE IS NO WAY SHE CAN TAKE THE MAN CAVE!!!
we do have a lot of parties down there and that was her reasoning..
but when she KNOWS all is well until
she goes and tries to touch a remote in the basement!!!
She has no idea how to work the projector and the rest of the home theater stuff!!
she does know how to work all of the other tvs though...lol but i always tell her that stuff is for sports and movies not tv (the bulbs cost to much to replace)
after showing her the links from up above.... she says " honey i am so glad you but that pacific energy

RIGHT ON, VICTORY. One small step for men, one large step for men!!!!!!!!!

Hogwildz said:
RIGHT ON, VICTORY. One small step for men, one large step for men!!!!!!!!!

YES! just to rub it in i asked her if she wanted to get a movie, go to the theater in the basement and sit by the fire!!!!!!!! (in the big ole fireplace)

Status
Not open for further replies.