1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

My wood for this burning season

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by tfdchief, Nov 4, 2013.

1. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    3 year old white oak on the moisture meter. In this years wood shed stash is white oak, red oak, sycamore, white ash, and some misc. cherry, etc. all 3 years old. SWEET:)! I don't put too much credence in moisture meters but it doesn't exactly contradict Dennis' 3 year theory either. lol
    3 yr old white oak.JPG

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Paul L

Paul L Member

Loc:
    Westcliffe, CO
    From the land of pine I'd just like to say

Rock and Roll !

Happy Burning.
    tfdchief likes this.
  3. NYLumberjack914

NYLumberjack914 Member

Loc:
    Yorktown Heights NY
    Enjoy the winter. You will be nice and
  4. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Nice Steve. It might measure a little higher in a fresh split, but you still have some nice seasoned wood there.:)
  5. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    warm?
  6. Lumber-Jack

Loc:
    I'm sure after 3 years it's perfectly burnable wood, but you do know that you are suppose to re-split it and take the reading on the freshly split face. Right?
    Poking the pins in the dry ends like that doesn't give you an accurate reading of the wood inside.
  7. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    I was wondering when you guys would mention that. Actually, I chopped a split that was too long in half with my chop saw. So the meter is stuck as close to the middle as you can get. There is a little difference some times between "with the grain" and "accross the grain", but like I said, I like the "Dennis Method" the best anyway.;) I just like to mess with gadjets and curious to see if the meter says the same thing the wood says when it burns.......dryyyyyy.
    Backwoods Savage and Lumber-Jack like this.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    You are doing just fine Steve. Just think of the time you will be having with all that pin oak you got this year.
    tfdchief likes this.
  9. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    I don't think I've ever bothered to compare 2-3 year old wood by checking the end, then splitting and checking the fresh face.
    Curious now.
    Come on Steve, you know you want to. ;lol
    I did recently resplit a piece of Oak and the fresh split face was 16%, so I'm happy with that.
    The year old soft Maple still has a tiny amount of water in some splits, but not enough to make a real difference. Burns well, but I haven't checked the MC yet.
    Something to do on a rainy day....like today.:confused::)
  10. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Dave, I have done that before and all I remember is that there was a difference, but I don't remember how much. I will try it and see.
  11. Lumber-Jack

Loc:
    I've never noticed any difference between checking with the grain or across the grain, but I have found huge differences between measuring the dry exterior of the wood and splitting (or cutting) open the wood and taking a moisture reading inside.
    Always nice to have a way to confirm something, even if you're pretty sure of the results already.