My wood hauler goes...........KABOOM!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
after reading the post.....
I would have to say it was more of a screaching squealing than a kaboom
glad it was easily fixed
well cheaply
good work quads
around here someone would of listed it on craigslist as a parts quad

ManiacPD said:
Interesting post, thanks for sharing.

I have an '01 400 Sportsman that I use almost exclusively for hauling wood with. The homemade trailer will hold 1/4 cord if I deadpile it or about 1/3 cord if I stack it neatly. For green hardwood on a 5,000lb/cd scale that's around 1,500 lbs + 500 lb trailer = 1 ton total towing weight. I am amazed at how much weight it will move for a belt driven ATV. It has 450 miles and 120 hours so you can compute my average speed when hauling a load. Getting it to stop can be another story sometimes!

I often wonder how people got anything done without ATVs, they did but just a lot slower I guess. They are must-have tool for any landowner.
My trailer holds 1/6th of a cord, I bought it at Harbor Freight many years ago for $100. It has hauled A LOT of firewood, without so much as a flat tire. The wood I usually cut is dead fallen oak, with no bark on it. The pine in the picture was even lighter than that. But, when I do haul green oak, I try to haul a smaller load, because green oak is really heavy.

Before this ATV (Polaris Hawkeye), I had an early year 1998 Polaris Sportsman 500. It had way over 10,000 miles on it when I traded it in on the Hawkeye. Before that I used a 1950 Chevy pickup. And even before that I used a 1949 Willys Jeep with a homemade pickup box type trailer for hauling wood.

ironpony said:
after reading the post.....
I would have to say it was more of a screaching squealing than a kaboom
glad it was easily fixed
well cheaply
good work quads
around here someone would of listed it on craigslist as a parts quad
HAHA! The KABOOM in the thread title was meant more as a noun than an adjective. It was definitely a long CRUUUUUNCH sound. ;-)

quads said:
I took my wood hauler ATV for a ride in the Necedah National Wildlife Refuge on Saturday for the Whooping Crane Festival. As I was returning to the truck at the end of the day, I noticed an odd vibration. Unloading it from the truck back at home, I looked it all over and couldn't really find anything out of the ordinary, so I chalked it up to my imagination.

Sunday I headed out into the woods to work on a custom order. (pine firewood by special order only):
. . . !

Proof postive that burning pine is dangerous . . . it leads to chimney fires, male baldness and causes ATVs to break down. ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
quads said:
I took my wood hauler ATV for a ride in the Necedah National Wildlife Refuge on Saturday for the Whooping Crane Festival. As I was returning to the truck at the end of the day, I noticed an odd vibration. Unloading it from the truck back at home, I looked it all over and couldn't really find anything out of the ordinary, so I chalked it up to my imagination.

Sunday I headed out into the woods to work on a custom order. (pine firewood by special order only):
. . . !

Proof postive that burning pine is dangerous . . . it leads to chimney fires, male baldness and causes ATVs to break down. ;) :)
You could be right because I have/had all of those! Except that I think just cutting and splitting pine is dangerous, because I never burn it myself. Haha!

"Proof positive that merely cutting, splitting, or hauling pine is dangerous!"

Quads, While you may not actually burn the pine, you are an accessory to the act, and therefore subject to the consequences.

Flatbedford said:
Quads, While you may not actually burn the pine, you are an accessory to the act, and therefore subject to the consequences.
Darn pine, I curse you! ARGGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.