My wood is about to get more valuable

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/homepage/x214753360/Rate-hikes-sought-for-natural-gas

It you don't want to read it, I'll give you the quick run down.

"If Mountaineer Gas, by far the largest natural gas utility in the Huntington area, gets its requested increase of 42 percent, a typical customer's monthly winter bill will rise from $161 last year to $231 this winter."

What gets me is the $161 dollar average. I have no idea where the paper got it. I'm assuming they got if from the gas company, which had to low balled the hell out of that number for sure.

I can't use my bill as an example because of the stove but I did some quick math with my brother's gas bill. Taking his gas budget and subtracting $20 a month for heating water and using a 5 month heating period, he's paying over 200 a month to heat in the winter time right now, not $161.

I doubt the Public Service Commision will give them the full 42% but I'm guessing they will give them most of it.

I'm going to have to do some calculating but I'm willing to bet resistance heat will be cheaper than gas after this increase.

They say a 'typical' customer, not one that heats the house with 100% gas during the winter - or what the months are that make up the winter months - or when they are basing that on - last year? It is just a number but the reality is that oil and gas prices will be raised, including for power generation.

All energy cost are going up. There will be very little going down, and the it will go back up in the near future. I think this winter is going to be real tough on alot of people.

On my last gas bill a therm of ng is up 80% from last year at this time!

This is why we burn wood! :cheese: I still have to get to the wood, and get it home, but it is way cheaper then heating oil.

Propane up here in Northern WI is at $3.47 a gallon right now. I am sure it will be at $4.00/gal by winter. It was $1.72/gal last year in August... At this rate my Oslo will pay for itself in 1 year. 8

Status
Not open for further replies.