My wood is NEVER gonna dry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
it is doesn't stop down pouring every single day as it seems it is doing this sumer!!!

First off I probably didn't chose the best location for my stacks. They are under trees so don't get the best sunlight and air movement. And then the crazy thunder we are having like every day!!

I really hope september and october are dry so my sopping wet piles dry out for burning season!!!!

Nothing is ever going to dry....ever.

Seriously, my apologies, as I am building a tool shed this summer (supposedly), so I am the reason for all of the rain.
Another week or two of this and I think I will be insane.

Pete

Lightning, thunder, drenching rain, dime-sized hail...for about 12 minutes, now the sun's back out clear and bright and everything's steaming...gotta love the high desert for seasoning firewood. Rick

I know. We are all stuck in the house to much. I like sponge bob but holy cow, my 2 year old is becoming a junky!!!!

I need to get the rest of my stuff split and for it to all dry out or I am doomed, DOOMED!!!!!

hahaha I wanna use as little propane as possible!!!!!!

skinnykid said:
I know. We are all stuck in the house to much. I like sponge bob but holy cow, my 2 year old is becoming a junky!!!!

I need to get the rest of my stuff split and for it to all dry out or I am doomed, DOOMED!!!!!

hahaha I wanna use as little propane as possible!!!!!!

Look on the bright side, at least there aren't many mosquitoes!

Just think if this weather pattern was in the winter! Your wood pile would be buried in 10' of snow!

I just checked the moisture in my 3 cord of Black Locust I'm burning this winter. It's ready to go at 15-20%. It's nice to be 2 years ahead on the wood supply. :cheese:

cover it on the top i am here in mass getting all of what you are and mine has been tarped ever since the call for the massive rains we got in july.... i have given up till sept

I just covered the tops of my stacks tonight. I couldn't take another day sitting at work watching the rain - kicking myself for not covering the wood. I can't remember this much rain in late July/early August.

You can build a dryer with scrap pallets and an old tarp.

Check out the old mother earth articles for the how to of it all.

This may not get you to 15% before winter but it will be better than

a pile of wood sitting in the rain.

I could use some rain out west. Haven't had any since early April.

Funny how the grass is always greener (although mine is kinda yellow right now)

More down pours here. I have most of my wood covered but I still need to split some of it. Can't do that in the rain. Hopefully it's going to be sunny this weekend.

2 days out of the next 7 don't have rain in the forecast.... each day will have sun then downpours like we have been having.....glad i covered the top of mine

Its raining on my uncovered stacks right now. No worries here, they'll be just fine come burning season.

But I am getting sick of the friggin' rain.....my lawn is acting like its on steroids! Stupid rain.

Im hoping this weather pattern lasts till winter!I love the snow and dont care much for the heat.I have two cords stacked under tarps and one cord in the wood shed!After it rains all i do is remove any standing water on top.Waiting for my moisture meter to arrive!then ill see how dry all my wood really is.

I hear ya about the rain! I wish my wood pile was like my grass, and grow grow grow, when it gets poured on!

J

I know what you are all saying. It has rained here everyday for the last 10 days. I tried to do everything right...Spent extra for seasoned wood, bought all my parts by the book, but never covered my 4 cords. I can tell by looking at it, thats it's real wet. I do have an 8X36' storage area, roofed and closed in with all glass along the walls. The wood has taken on a sick look.... Many shades darker than when it arrived, and all the end checking has closed up. My friend Tfin(also a member of this forum) AKA Todd tells me it'll be ok with some sustained hot sunshine. I don't know whether to move it to the greenhouse or wait for sun. I do know one thing, I will never let my firewood go uncovered again.

What about these moisture meters people talk about buying on ebay. Anyone got any feedback on these little tools? It was a rough year for me as I had to fork out money for a stove, chimney parts, wood and also an attic insulation job...Sure , things are tough all over ...I'm on a disability pension and spent all my buttons plus my reserve to get this wood burning thing going. And I live alone so i can't share the burden. Yeah, yeah , things could be worse..As my departed dad used to say when things got tight ..."Well we could always burn the furniture, that must be dry by now" This is now a family joke as my mother, also dead for 30 years, used to go into hysterics when my dad would talk about burning the Hepplewhite and Duncan & Fife furniture. And he was dead serious.
Joe

Todd said:
Just think if this weather pattern was in the winter! Your wood pile would be buried in 10' of snow!

I just checked the moisture in my 3 cord of Black Locust I'm burning this winter. It's ready to go at 15-20%. It's nice to be 2 years ahead on the wood supply. :cheese:

Todd, if you work really hard this winter, maybe you can catch up to us! lol

We too could use some of that rain. We listen to thunder 3 or 4 times per week but hardly any rain falls. Well, we did get .1" the other day, but that isn't much.

yup have been cutting, splitting and stacking all day. almost done and guess what it is doing at 5:15 PM?

Raining so hard I can't see across my yard!!!!!

Again, My wood is NEVER gonna dry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got rained out while splitting too...well maybe I can make some production after supper.

it was just hailing hardcore!!!! the lights where dimming out. It has lightened up some but the thunder is still shaking the ground!!!!

I think the wood burning gods HATE me.

Status
Not open for further replies.