My wood is NEVER gonna dry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
no man said:
Well Skinny you may have 2 choices burn wet wood this year or save it for next year.

No way, all the wood I have is for this year, I have no reserves. I am just starting out and hope to end the winter with some left over.

As soon as we get a couple of rain free days and the remaining stack dry out, I am gonna cover those bad boys and then hope like heck that it ends up burnable.........

Da wood gonna be just fine skinny.

BrotherBart said:
Da wood gonna be just fine skinny.

Yes, weather (even in New England) has a funny way of averaging or close to averaging out. Remember all the snow we got this year? All the snow melt? Yet we were facing very dry conditions in June. Typically September and October are rainy months for New England, they probably won't be this year and your would will dry then.

Rick, I so, so, so, feel inspired !

I just got back in from looking out the back kitchen door, whoopdie doo !! I see lattice coming my way ( my family "crew" will moan & groan, but will be watching the plasma on Super Bowl Sunday, commenting how warm they be !!), AND out of the way of my potential new barn driveway !!!

trinken030.gif

SK, take a chill pill. Those New England windy fall days are coming. Next it'll be about the leaves falling down ! I lived in Shaftsbury, VT, for many years. You'll be fine !!!

Slow and steady
smilie_schildkroete.gif

For goodness sake`s--if it`s raining all the time there must be some wind to go along with it? And I don`t ever want anyone to say how wet Seattle is ever again? Nice and dry for the most part here in the PNW, thank you very much!!

It will dry, just have some patience. smirk, smirk, of course all of us softwood burners always know that our wood is ready in--7. that`s right 7 months. ;-P or even less :cheese: that hardwood that takes 24 months to season is as brother bart would say "evil,evil" ;-P

nope not much wind to speak of. Maybe just when a thunder storm rolls through but that is it.

sonnyinbc said:
...of course all of us softwood burners always know that our wood is ready in--7. that`s right 7 months.

And if it is in the rain for an hour you start the seven months all over again. The stuff gets like Sponge Bob in a car wash. :lol:

skinnykid said:
nope not much wind to speak of. Maybe just when a thunder storm rolls through but that is it.

we are in the same boat but don't worry( i can for the both of us)
you'll see whenwe do get some dry air it will season....i have a couple of cds from last year thats good and dry but now wet that stuff will be ready by end oct -nov so the other stuff still has a good 5 months before i need it so ....hopefully we will be ok
but .... when was the last time the east coast got a hurricane????.............oh no

Skinny, trust me, stop sweating it. It'll get just as dry as it's gonna get. I've actually found that I can accelerate the seasoning of my firewood by getting away from the computer, setting up a lawn chair in an advantageous location, popping myself open a nice tall can of brew and watching my firewood dry for an hour or two a day. The wood then learns how much I care for it, and it wants to please me. Sometimes I hum an appropriate tune to the wood, like "Light My Fire" by Jim Morrison & the Doors, or maybe "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash. If the wood is having a hard time adjusting to the fact that you're looking to burn it to ash soon, there are Wood Hospice services available with trained professional counselors on staff who can ease the wood through the end-of-log transition and promote a peaceful resignation among the splits...even an appreciation for knowing the comfort they're about to provide, rather than just rotting on the forest floor. Be with your wood, skinny, and it will be with you. Rick

iceman said:
..by end oct -nov so the other stuff still has a good 5 months before i need it so ....hopefully we will be ok

Yeah I always chuckle because people don't remember that the back of the stack is gonna be sitting there a good while longer. Burn it in April and it has been sitting there for eight months from now.

There may be some good news for skinny and others here in the NE states.This long time wet weather pattern looks like it might finally be breaking down abit!which should mean less rain and more sun.I hope so!my tomatoes are taking a beating.Hang in their skinny!Give that wood a suntan during the sunny days and cover up when rain threatens.

JPapiPE said:
BackRoads ...Good show dude. And where pretell is a photo of your woodpile young man?

I've been meaning to get around to it. My son has Football 4-5 days a week so between that and the rain I still got to split alot. Also with all this rain, who really wants to see some ugly tarps? I'll work on it though for ya.

Jay777........I ususally bring in a few days worth and have it around the stove (at a safe distance).......seem that I read somewhere about warm wood firing up easier than the frozen stuff, and there seems to be some merit to that........Only problem I have had is that the ants that are froze and dormant in the logs will reappear when they warm up :bug:

BrotherBart said:
sonnyinbc said:
...of course all of us softwood burners always know that our wood is ready in--7. that`s right 7 months.

And if it is in the rain for an hour you start the seven months all over again. The stuff gets like Sponge Bob in a car wash. :lol:

Ha, ha, BB, hey just check out the rain map. Surprise, surprise, ya all get a tonne of more rain per season than we do. You see old boy, ya just can`t compare grey-(like your hair) to clouds and more clouds. You see, we get tonnes of clouds-but that doesn`t neccessarily mean rain??

My wood is nice and dry outside, heh,heh, how about yours?? Oops,what were those posts the past few months? Rain, and more rain, oh, my too bad. Even BG will agree with me on this one.=== we may live in a cloud around here, but it doesn`t mean we get rained on. :lol:

Well, some of us live in a cloud here. This weekend we just got a gift of a banana plant for the back yard (no kidding).

velvetfoot said:
Thanks, I gotta check that out. When we went up north last weekend, near Corinth, NY, I saw a couple of woodpiles covered with some kind of stuff that wasn't a tarp...

Real late into this thread and de-lurking but really wonder Velvetfoot if it wasn't MY house you went by----that would be a hoot! Stop and say hello next time.

My other half works in landscape/construction and brought home scraps of pond-liner---very heavy and very flexible, but very expensive to buy I'm told. Some of my stacks have a foot or 2 between them and the narrower scraps can cover those seperately so I don't have to deal with pools collecting on tarps.

I also use tarps on some stacks but lay out sheets of scrap glavanized fencing on top of the piles first then tie or bungee the tarps down to the side-rails of the pallet-racks.

nyk0306 said:
My other half works in landscape/construction and brought home scraps of pond-liner---very heavy and very flexible, but very expensive to buy I'm told. Some of my stacks have a foot or 2 between them and the narrower scraps can cover those seperately so I don't have to deal with pools collecting on tarps.
Heh.. that would be the EPDM mentioned about two pages back in this thread. Guess that's good stuff!

Jay777 said:
nyk0306 said:
Heh.. that would be the EPDM mentioned about two pages back in this thread. Guess that's good stuff!

Could be---probably is and they just market it with a different name and purpose? When I asked my bf he said it wasn't the same stuff but he's wrong alot on a good day.

We are talking 45 mil E.P.D.M. originally formulated as flat or low pitched roofing material with a 30 year life expectancy. It would last longer if it were not for the joints that have to be specially treated and the perimeter of this product needs a whole different treatment because this material is unvulcanized rubber so it has a film on it which makes need for the special treatment, (special primers, lap sealents and vulcanized tape), in roofing applications. In my experience as a certified E.P.D.M. installer it is the joints, but mostly the perimeter areas that fail first, but used as a wood pile cover one can expect a good long life of 40 years. The fish pond people did find that this product was suitable as a long lasting liner in ponds and other outside uses.

Edit...duplicate post.

YOUR WOOD IS GONNA DRY!!!!!!!! SUNSHINE FOR THE NEXT WEEK!!! EVERYONE UNCOVER YOUR WOOD!!!!!

I'm thinking of building a huge Hotz Hausen with my pellet stove installed in the middle of it to dry the wood

..ya know...i've been thinking along those lines for a Hillbilly Kiln. If a guy built either a short Holts Hausen OR one that had a small steel or brick arch in the side for access, top it with thin tin (relatively cheap) you could cook it from inside out....say by charcoal bricks. You'd prolly need to wrap the sides with something too so you could build heat...have not got that figured out*. But if you built it around a "grate" for the charcoal.....or say the bottom of one of those cheapy steel burn barrels or three. Charcoal burns for quite a while and is cheap...throw in some wood scraps or coal chunks for an extended burn and you've got a wood cooker.

*was thinking of looking for a supplier of wide roll heavy gauge tin foil...but have not done so as we are now in hot, dry and breezy conditions here in Michigan :p The way I see it, worst case is i'd burn down some wood.

You'd prolly need to wrap the sides with something too so you could build heat...have not got that figured out*.

ROLLED FIBERGLASS INSULATION....huzzah!. I'm going to try it this fall with some wetter wood than I currently have. (And I don't wanna hijack the thread...just some rambling wood drying thoughts during a tough drying season.)

Status
Not open for further replies.