my wood is soaking wet and my dog must die! :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2007
So it's been raining here all day. I just went out back to grab something from the shed and much to my dismay there sits 2 cords of really dry split wood, tipped over with the tarp pulled off and across the yard. I turn around and here is the culprit. All 135 lbs of him. Rotties are good dogs but too strong for their own good and he apparently got bored. He took off when I started running after him. lol I was hoping to start my first fire tonight, but looks like it will have to wait till the wood dries.

So now my question is: when that happens and the wood is really wet, how long does it take for wood to dry to where it will be good and ready to burn?

Thanks!

If the wood was dry, this is just surface moisture. As long as it doesn't sit on wet ground it should dry out pretty quickly.

If the dog is bored, maybe teach it how to stock the wood box in the house or on the porch?

tlhfirelion said:
So it's been raining here all day. I just went out back to grab something from the shed and much to my dismay there sits 2 cords of really dry split wood, tipped over with the tarp pulled off and across the yard. I turn around and here is the culprit. All 135 lbs of him. Rotties are good dogs but too strong for their own good and he apparently got bored. He took off when I started running after him. lol I was hoping to start my first fire tonight, but looks like it will have to wait till the wood dries.

So now my question is: when that happens and the wood is really wet, how long does it take for wood to dry to where it will be good and ready to burn?

Thanks!
Now thats funny!

If its already seasoned. The wood will dry in about the same time as the grass. Like BG said, its just surface moisture. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even let that stop me from firing up the stove. Just my opinion.

The wood will dry, the dog must not die! Sorry, but I had to put in a plug for the dog. :) An older Lab/Rotty mix who had been abused after his first owner died adopted me when I moved here; I will agree that they are strong dogs. I had to have my old guy put down in the spring after he lost the use of his back legs. My poodle and I miss him. So hopefully you won't remain mad at your Rotty for too long--give him a hug and a treat. I bet he'd lay down his life for you and your family.

How long was the wood on the ground? If it was a couple days or less I wouldn't even worry about it. Hell, I wouldn't worry about it in any case, but that's just how Bigg Redd rolls.

That wood is probably looking a lot better today.
Restacking will expose some of the wetter nooks and crannies. :)

I've seen smaller dogs do more [costly] damage with just thier tails.

Status
Not open for further replies.