My wood pile I'm working on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailrated

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2009
Maryland
Been clearing some land at my house. Several trees were dropped I believe this past November, close to December. To close to the house with more that need to be dropped. Weather and time constraints caused me to get behind on it. When I did get the chance to work on it, it would only be for 2-4 hours. I got about a cord and a half split and stacked and have what you see in the pics to finish up. Got a mix of Red oak, Beech, Maple and Popular. My neighbor helped me drop the trees, since then its just been me, the Kubota and my Stihl MS290. Today I worked on the mess pretty much all day. Now I got A LOT of branches and tops to clean up.

trees5.jpg

trees2.jpg

trees6.jpg

very nice...... keep at it,.... how r u liking that ms290 by the way,... ive been thinkin of addin that to my stash.

crackshot said:
very nice...... keep at it,.... how r u liking that ms290 by the way,... ive been thinkin of addin that to my stash.

Its a hard working saw for its size. Today I just put a chisel chain on it and it performs much better with this chain. For a medium sized saw its great. I've had it for 2 years now and not a hiccup. Running an 18 inch bar. Its the "Farm Boss" model.

lot of work there for one man.
get some help, or just work longer! lol

looks good.

Nice tractor. I have a green one just like that. It looks like you have teeth on the loader. How do you like them? I have thought of adding them to mine. What are the pros and cons?

Bspring said:
Nice tractor. I have a green one just like that. It looks like you have teeth on the loader. How do you like them? I have thought of adding them to mine. What are the pros and cons?

The only cons are a little added weight in the FEL, depending how stout the tooth bar is. Mine weighs about 150lbs, very well built. If you need to do smooth back dragging its an easy bolt on, bolt off implement. Pro's: Invaluable for dirt work. Improves your digging capabilities, easier to uproot trees, and holds things like brush and logs a lot better. Also allows to you loosen up packed dirt piles for FEL work as well. After having one, I won't be without one again.

Lynch - Yes, a lot of work for one man. I got it about whipped now with the exception of splitting and stacking the wood.

Nice set up.
I see a big cookout coming, bon fire, hot dogs & beer.
Bring your own saw, maul & leather gloves to enter the contests.
Plan it with a few friends/ potluck & have some cutting, splitting & stacking contest Sat afternoon,
then feed em hotdogs& some beer.
It'd be a fun get together.
(Tom Sawyer was a smart guy ;) )

I've got to get a set of 3 pt forks. Your box looks easily as big as your bucket without even trying too hard.

SolarAndWood said:
I've got to get a set of 3 pt forks. Your box looks easily as big as your bucket without even trying too hard.

I have a set of clamp on forks for the bucket. The wooden box I built on a Carry All frame I picked up from Tractor Supply company. The two sides and the front are removable so depending on what I'm carrying it will be more versatile. Right now its half filled with cinder blocks for rear ballast weight. Works good for a wood hauler too.

IMG00110-20100221-1438.jpg

bogydave said:
Nice set up.
I see a big cookout coming, bon fire, hot dogs & beer.
Bring your own saw, maul & leather gloves to enter the contests.
Plan it with a few friends/ potluck & have some cutting, splitting & stacking contest Sat afternoon,
then feed em hotdogs& some beer.
It'd be a fun get together.
(Tom Sawyer was a smart guy ;) )

Hmmm, Now thats a good idea.

I like the stake pocket idea. I am thinking that I want boxes with sides two pallets high and a roof. If I moved that with clamp ons, I doubt my rear tires would ever be on the ground even if my loader could pick it up. It will probably be pushing 3 or 4 thousand pounds. I think my 3 pt is rated for close to 2 ton while the loader is maybe 6 or 7 hundred.

[quote author="trailrated" date="1299392472

Looks good trailrated, when I was in North Carolina for a visit they have plenty of oak, what type of tree makes up the majority of your hardwood?

Zap

zapny said:

Looks good trailrated, when I was in North Carolina for a visit they have plenty of oak, what type of tree makes up the majority of your hardwood?

Zap

On my land and adjoining property, its Red Oak, Maple and Hickory. If you consider Beech a hard wood, I do, there is plenty of that. Majority, I'd say Oak.

trailrated said:
zapny said:

Zap

On my land and adjoining property, its Red Oak, Maple and Hickory. If you consider Beech a hard wood, I do, there is plenty of that. Majority, I'd say Oak.

Up here people love burning Beech, great firewood with some nice btu's plus it seasons quicker then Oak.

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

Zap

trailrated, that looks real good and that tractor has to come in very handy for that work. One more thing you could do would be to cut one more log from those stumps and you have even more firewood.

I've thought about a carry-all box like that. But I also like the idea of a set of 3pt pallet forks. My idea is to make three sided boxes (with a bottom) with pallets so I can move firewood up to the house with my 8N. I couldn't carry a lot of weight. I think the lift on my 8N is rated about 1400 pounds but the front end will come off the ground with about 800 on the rear. Not sure how much wood I could move at a time (maybe a quarter cord?) but would still be more than the little wagon and lawn tractor set up I use now.
I saw a used 3pt pallet fork set for $100 about a year ago. I waited too long to drive the 20 miles to get it. It sold and I've not seen another one.

Backwoods Savage said:
trailrated, that looks real good and that tractor has to come in very handy for that work. One more thing you could do would be to cut one more log from those stumps and you have even more firewood.

Most definitely, I plan on doing that. At first my neighbor was going to rip them out with his dozer so I left them a little high so the blade could catch them. But a few are near my water and electric lines and I didn't want to risk a deep root possibly damaging a line while being uprooted. So I will just cut them closer to the ground and grind them up.

Kenster said:
I've thought about a carry-all box like that. But I also like the idea of a set of 3pt pallet forks. My idea is to make three sided boxes (with a bottom) with pallets so I can move firewood up to the house with my 8N. I couldn't carry a lot of weight. I think the lift on my 8N is rated about 1400 pounds but the front end will come off the ground with about 800 on the rear. Not sure how much wood I could move at a time (maybe a quarter cord?) but would still be more than the little wagon and lawn tractor set up I use now.
I saw a used 3pt pallet fork set for $100 about a year ago. I waited too long to drive the 20 miles to get it. It sold and I've not seen another one.

Could you add some front end weights on your tractor to help keep the front down? I hardly take my loader off because it makes a great front counter balance weight. I think the loader is about 750 pounds. If I have the box loaded and need to climb up one of my hills, I also throw some wood in the front bucket for extra security.

Status
Not open for further replies.