My Wood Rack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaptain

Feb 2, 2011
Central PA
I'm finishing the basement and built a wood rack to hold about close to a 1/2 cord of firewood.

I tend to over engineer things a bit but also keep it simple at the same time.

- I factored in air-flow (2x4's are off the ground to allow air to travel underneath).
- The rack is easily and fully removable by 4 1/2" bolts and wing nuts; makes for easy vacuuming.
- The rack is split into two sections which give you several options ; questionable\green
larger splits\rounds can stay stacked on one side for several weeks. Since it's 10ft from the stove it's going to dry quickly.

Personally I'm just going to keep the larger splits\rounds separated for those overnight burns.

Attachments

• Wood Rack 1.jpg
    Wood Rack 1.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 466
  • Wood Rack 3.jpg
    Wood Rack 3.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 465
Hmmm, paper faced insulation next to a solid fuel appliance??

Looks like the cat is checking out your work.
It's thinking :: "I think if you'd stack it just a little higher, I could lay on the top & see out the window & be warm & cozy".
& "leave some of the splits stick out the front a bit for steps" :)

Looks good, well thought out.
Good job!
Is the window access to bring wood in, & save some of the mess?

bogydave said:
It's thinking :: "I think if you'd stack it just a little higher, I could lay on the top & see out the window & be warm & cozy".

Good job!

Lol, she's more of a hunter than a sleeper - she was making sure that I didn't bring any mice in with the wood.

The process is quite simple. The one corner of our basement is exposed with a set of double doors (previously a 1 car garage). I wheel barrow straight from the pile to the indoor rack.

here's to hoping out of sight and behind the camera is a big mess in the basement with stuff thrown everywhere and barely able to get by

because otherwise I'm really feeling a tad jealous

good job and nice hearth setup -

A man with a plan. That stuff will burn great when the time comes Kap.

Nice job Captain. Looks good. I loved having my wood stove in my basement. And now my boiler as well. Thanks for the pics and show us your progress and finished project. Good luck with it. Looks like a good fall/winter project.

Kaptain said:
bogydave said:

Good job!

Lol, she's more of a hunter than a sleeper - she was making sure that I didn't bring any mice in with the wood.

The process is quite simple. The one corner of our basement is exposed with a set of double doors (previously a 1 car garage). I wheel barrow straight from the pile to the indoor rack.

Great process. Easy wood access is a good thing.
Still think the cat would like to sleep on top of the stack & look out the window. Good hunting perch. LOL :)

Status
Not open for further replies.