My wood score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisNJ

Feeling the Heat
Sep 25, 2009
Burlington County
Old farm house put a sign out on front drive thankfully rather than through CL, so I had a week to myself and made 8 trips with my tiny Nissan. Anyway I got at least 2 cords of 2yo rounds, started with the Locust first and then got other stuff. I had never experienced Locust before this as apparently none of my wood suppliers included it, perhaps it was for their own consumption.

11-9027.jpg

and here is a bit of split Locust.

11-9028-1.jpg

Really fun stuff to split.

Any idea what those big rounds on the right are ? Splits real easy with kinda brown wood, looks like nice stuff also.

Good score and I'll guess on them big rounds White oak

Black Locust is not common in the middle of the woods, and I think most log suppliers are cutting mainly from the middle of the woods, therefore you don't see a lot of Black Locust in log loads. It's not that Black Locust is rare, just that it tends to grow in the open, not in the woods. Especially as a seedling, Black Locust needs sunlight. Around here you can look through thousands of acres of forest and get the impression that we don't have Black Locust, but then look along any fenceline, highway edge, or old pasture and get a completely different impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.