My wood storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokedragon

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Greensboro, NC
So I built two 8 x 12 wood storage areas this February. Moved a lot of stuff from under tarps that was stacked on pallets, also split a lot of rounds that were exposed to the weather. They are 8 feet high in the back, 7ft in the front. Wanted to show off the hard work this spring......

The third image, I ran out of room and decided to put some more between the two. Both of these were added on to my current 12x12 storage building. All told, I have 10 cord in these two, plus the third picture, plus 6 more pallets covered and tarped against the woods.

IMG_20140708_163928.jpg IMG_20140708_163948.jpg IMG_20140708_163935.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! :cool: I gotta get me something like that going on. Top-covering only goes so far...rain can still blow in, debris falls between the rows, covers blow off, etc. I'd like to get one year, at least, under cover...
What's under the wood? Looks like a continuous block base under the first one...

Why didn't you bury the posts? I see that a lot on here with people building sheds and I don't understand the reasoning? Rot? Either way a lot of hard work there!

Great shed. It looks mobile if need be. Maybe that's why you didn't bury the posts. I like the rubber roofing too.

What is the roof material?

Looks like a continuous block base under the first one...

It is a staggered block base (there are gaps). It saved me some money and labor on the blocks, and it also allows for a place for some bark and junk to go.........The way I stacked them, one is a continuous row at the back, the other is a continuous row at the front. They are both staggered though....

Why didn't you bury the posts? I

They are buried, 4 feet deep and in concrete (except the center post on the front). You can't see that in the pictures, but I promise they are (since I dug them all by hand). The rear posts are fasted to my original building with hurricane strapping and lag bolts (along with the rear rafter for the roof). You would have to tear the building down to get them down.

It looks mobile if need be.

Definitely not......I don't do mobile unless it's on wheels ::-)

What is the roof material?
TPO, a fiber reinforced polymer roofing (commercial flat roofs). I got ahold of a 10 foot wide roll and was using it to make really awesome tarps for my wood piles, figured why not using for actual roofing. The first picture is the second one I built (we left too much overhang on the first and it caught the top of my head walking in, which is why it was cut).

Answered my question! I just have seen many sheds built on pavers and wondered what the reasons were.

Me too, and I don't get it either.......looks like it would blow away.

Aside from some aches and pains, that's got to feel like a million bucks! Way to go.

I was amazed how much work it was to fill the first one with old wood. The second one was all split (some of it cut) this year, and I was really hitting it hard to fill that thing up. My goal was to have both full by the end of May, and I did that. I hope that is three years worth of wood, but only time will tell with the new stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.