My wood stove is up and running!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael6268

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Grafton NH/Upper Valley
Well I finally got my Century wood stove up and running. I had my break in fires and this thing really rocks! For a small inexpensive stove, I only have good things to say about it so far. Seems really well made, all straight and true etc. Burns great. Wood catches right away and even though I still am keeping the temp around 300-350, it throws a lot of heat. Much more than I had anticipated. The secondary burn is great to watch. I installed a SS Selkirk along with it. Cant say as much good things about that though. Seemed like they could have made the pipe/locking system better than they did. Seems like it would either lock and then come undone, or spin past the lock limit. I put locking bands on all the connection's except where the pipe meets the ceiling support box, as there is no way to put a band on that connection. And of course that connection was one of the ones that kept "undoing itself" so I just used 3 screws through the support box into the pipe. Aside from that everything went very well. I use coal for my primary heat in a Keystoker stove, and heat a second story mater bedroom with a lopi gas stove and have only really burnt wood in the fireplace and old airtight many years ago. After burning wood in a modern wood stove, I can see why you all like burning wood. Im hooked!

What model of Century wood stove did you get?

You might not be burning hot enough.

Michael6268 said:
Roospike said:

The FW240007 from Lowes. (might go by dutchwest in some area's) Nice little stove!

Congrats. It doesn't take a second mortgage to stay warm. No matter what Hearthstone, Jotul and VC say.

Yeah, I didn't forget ya Spike. PE either.

Michael6268 said:
Roospike said:

The FW240007 from Lowes. (might go by dutchwest in some area's) Nice little stove!
Century Hearth
1,000 Square Foot Wood Stove

Item #: 135382 Model: FW240007

Heats up to 1,000 sq. ft.
Features pedestal base design with ask drawer and brick-lined firebox
Holds up to 18" logs
Ash drawer
Bricklined firebox
Cast iron door with ceramic glass
Air wash system for cleaner glass
EPA approved
5-year warranty

Ratings based on 6 customer responses on a scale of 1 to 5.

Features 4.2
Value 4.5
Design 4.0
Quality 4.5
Ease of Use 4.3

Overall 4.3

If anybody wanted to know more of his model

BrotherBart said:
Michael6268 said:
Roospike said:

Congrats. It doesn't take a second mortgage to stay warm. No matter what Hearthstone, Jotul and VC say.

Yeah, I didn't forget ya Spike. PE either.
Thanks buddy...... :cheese:
I thought ya might of forgot bout me there for a minute. :red:

Not sure if this is the right thread but since you are talking about a Century Stove and there is so little info on them available I thought I would post here.

Might anyone know about the r value requirement under a Century FW300007 which is the bigger one that heats 2000 ft?

I'm trying to determine what I need to place over the 3/4" plywood subfloor? I was planning on laying Durock and then tile and figured this would be good to go. But after reading several threads it sounds like I need to take more interest in getting the correct material down.

I haven't been able to find anything on a manufacture's r value requirements for the hearth or floor and combustibles.

I would sure appreciate any tips as I am at a stand still til I get beyond this dilemma.

Also I am planning to use Durock on the walls stripping the studs to create a 1" void of air space between the 1/2" Durock and sheetrock. Do I need to do anything to the 5/8" sheetrock since it has paper on it? I was thinking I might should pull a coat of sheetrock mud over all of it.

Thanks for any help
Ed

CWYfire said:
Not sure if this is the right thread but since you are talking about a Century Stove and there is so little info on them available I thought I would post here.

Might anyone know about the r value requirement under a Century FW300007 which is the bigger one that heats 2000 ft?

I'm trying to determine what I need to place over the 3/4" plywood subfloor? I was planning on laying Durock and then tile and figured this would be good to go. But after reading several threads it sounds like I need to take more interest in getting the correct material down.

I haven't been able to find anything on a manufacture's r value requirements for the hearth or floor and combustibles.

I would sure appreciate any tips as I am at a stand still til I get beyond this dilemma.

Also I am planning to use Durock on the walls stripping the studs to create a 1" void of air space between the 1/2" Durock and sheetrock. Do I need to do anything to the 5/8" sheetrock since it has paper on it? I was thinking I might should pull a coat of sheetrock mud over all of it.

Here you go--CFM web page for FW300007 model. The manual has the relevant info for you. You want the paragraph entitled "Installation on a Combustible Floor." Good luck. You should like your stove. I'm quite impressed with mine, which is a bit smaller than your's.

Michael6268 said:
Well I finally got my Century wood stove up and running. I had my break in fires and this thing really rocks! For a small inexpensive stove, I only have good things to say about it so far. Seems really well made, all straight and true etc. Burns great. Wood catches right away and even though I still am keeping the temp around 300-350, it throws a lot of heat. Much more than I had anticipated. The secondary burn is great to watch. I installed a SS Selkirk along with it. Cant say as much good things about that though. Seemed like they could have made the pipe/locking system better than they did. Seems like it would either lock and then come undone, or spin past the lock limit. I put locking bands on all the connection's except where the pipe meets the ceiling support box, as there is no way to put a band on that connection. And of course that connection was one of the ones that kept "undoing itself" so I just used 3 screws through the support box into the pipe. Aside from that everything went very well. I use coal for my primary heat in a Keystoker stove, and heat a second story mater bedroom with a lopi gas stove and have only really burnt wood in the fireplace and old airtight many years ago. After burning wood in a modern wood stove, I can see why you all like burning wood. Im hooked!

Congrats on the stove! Pretty exciting seeing it burn 1st time around.. Now all you need to do is convert to a Red Sox fan you'll be much happier :p

Ray

CWYfire said:

Thanks for any help
Ed

Welcome Ed. You would get much better attention by posting a new thread with your specific questions. As to the last question, no, leave the sheetrock as it is. No need for any special treatment. That's what the wall shield is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.