My wood stove story

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomzu

Sep 15, 2015
Puyallup, WA
My friend (therivermonster) turned me onto this forum, and even though I've been burning wood to keep the house warm for over 18 years, I've learned so much more in the last couple of weeks I've been reading on this forum.

So about 18 years ago, me and my wife bought our first home. It had this wood stove, and it worked well.
DSC00590_zpsbnjgakdo.jpg
No, the firelogs were never used in the stove. Well the pic was taken in the off season. The house was 1200ish sq. ft. when it got to hot the garage door was opened, then the back slider. The more I learn about stoves, I don't think it was certified. Which makes a big deal for the house we live in now. Since I live in an area that passed a law about certified stoves, I'm glad I unknowingly bought one 10 years ago.

So we sold our old house and bought a new to us house. It had a zero clearance fireplace.
DSC03460_zpsg595w1tv.jpg
DSC04573_zpsjyjgtra7.jpg

After the first winter with the fireplace, we decided we need a wood stove. We went to the state fair looking for deals. For what we had, and the options that were there, we decided on a Hearthstone Homestead hearthmount w/6" legs. I built the heart, the surround and moved the mantel. The wife helped with the grout clean up......I suck at that.

DSC04750_zpslrrqbru9.jpg
DSC_4403_zpsauthvqit.jpg

It's been a great stove for our needs. The only thing I needed was a place to store the wood from the elements. Last year my brother came to visit. Our moms carport needed to come down. The posts were rotten and the roof was in too. So we took it down.

So when building my wood shed all I bought was concrete pillars (which I buried), 4x4 pressure treaded posts and galvanized roofing. The rest I reclaimed from the carport. My wife wants me to paint the old wood, I think it's nostalgic. After one year still standing and keeping wood dry.
DSC_7953_zpslmolik1w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
nice story

Welcome to the forum! I think that you'll really enjoy your time here. Following are a few important tips that I have found very useful on this forum:

-Get on the 3 year plan ASAP. Search for "three year plan" on this forum for much more info. (Also you can just call or text because we're buddies)

-Treat yourself to one of the cheap moisture meters from Lowes or Home Depot. This will help you better judge the the quality of your firewood.

-Find a suitable stove top thermometer for your soap stone stove. Next, read your owners manual to learn how they suggest to properly shut the air to your stove down as it heats up in order to better heat your lovely home, and help make your wood last longer.

-Save your pennies and buy a good saw and a few other choice quality tools and you'll be set for some time to come. The forum is a great place to look for advice on any of these tools.

-Get your chimney cleaned, man! Search the forum for much more info on this if you want it.

-Last but not least, enjoy your time on the forum. I especially enjoy it early on a weekend morning over a hot cup of coffee, or over a beer after splitting a cord or two.

Welcome, brother Mike! (Action pic of Mike)

IMG_5859-L.jpg

Last edited:
That looks great. Do you have more pictures of the removal & install?

Thanks. The only things removed from the fire place was the flue damper, log rack and glass doors.

I removed the ceramic tiles.

After the stove was installed, I found out I had to raise the mantel.

Scratch coat.

Culture stones.

Grout.

later on I had to replace some of the flooring. When I did I darkened the trim boards around the hearth. You can see in the last 2 pics in my first post.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! I think that you'll really enjoy your time here. Following are a few important tips that I have found very useful on this forum:

-Get on the 3 year plan ASAP. Search for "three year plan" on this forum for much more info. (Also you can just call or text because we're buddies)

-Treat yourself to one of the cheap moisture meters from Lowes or Home Depot. This will help you better judge the the quality of your firewood.

-Find a suitable stove top thermometer for your soap stone stove. Next, read your owners manual to learn how they suggest to properly shut the air to your stove down as it heats up in order to better heat your lovely home, and help make your wood last longer.

-Save your pennies and buy a good saw and a few other choice quality tools and you'll be set for some time to come. The forum is a great place to look for advice on any of these tools.

-Get your chimney cleaned, man! Search the forum for much more info on this if you want it.

-Last but not least, enjoy your time on the forum. I especially enjoy it early on a weekend morning over a hot cup of coffee, or over a beer after splitting a cord or two.

View attachment 162139

Thanks, You need to settle down buddy , :mad: I've only had this stove for 10 years now. Give someone a little time to get his stuff together. ;)

View attachment 162139

So I bought this, at your suggestion. Now I'll need help moving the Wood stove to clean.

Is this a quality of enough saw for your liking?:mad::):cool:

Reactions: CrufflerJJ
Did you put a few layers of Micore down under that stone for the hearth? That particular hearthstone has a pretty big requirement for hearth protection.

Did you have any trouble getting that insulated liner down the existing flue? If there's an offset it can be difficult.

Did you put a few layers of Micore down under that stone for the hearth? That particular hearthstone has a pretty big requirement for hearth protection.

Did you have any trouble getting that insulated liner down the existing flue? If there's an offset it can be difficult.

I thought the same things. Nice saw!

Status
Not open for further replies.