My wood supplier strikes again - wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2009
Connecticut
What is this wood? It smells very nice. My guess is some sort of maple.

Attachments

• wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 742
Red or silver maple.

Jotul Rockland - CT said:
Well - That sucks - I'm looking for high BTU wood.

I guess I can let my neighbors have this.

Its pretty strong shoulder season wood. Or for recover in the A.M. starts a blaze quick then harder woods right behind it! ;-)

You could make a maple cell phone out of it! :lol:

Attachments

• maple_phone.jpg
    maple_phone.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 664
I say it's Honey Locust, Silver Maple doesn't have that white outer ring where Locust does and bark can look similar. I think you got you a great score.

The bark does look like it could be locust. Just cut some up today and it does smell nice, stronger smell then maple. Very heavy. Great score!

Excellent fuel,very dense,can be stubborn splitting sometimes,definetly worth it though.

As good as any Hickory you'll find,about the same as Black Locust.

Bark says "sugar maple" to me. Smells great, kinda like a winery as sugars ferment.

Without a doubt Honey Locust!

I think it is Honey Locust. Orange center (but not very orange), white sapwood, bark with large smooth area and large flaky ridges (if you don't understand that description, look at the pics). Supposed to be great firewood.

I think it looks pretty darned good and he is right. His wood supplier is great.

Bark sez White Oak. Best-smelling wood there is; One whiff, and you understand why they use it to age wine and whiskey. I wish I had more...White Oak, not whiskey. :lol:

Medullary rays in evidence?

Woody Stover said:
Bark sez White Oak. Best-smelling wood there is; One whiff, and you understand why they use it to age wine and whiskey. I wish I had more...White Oak, not whiskey. :lol:

They use it to age wine & whisky (and yrs ago whenever they needed any waterproof wooden barrel) because of the tyloses that plug the pores.That helps with its high tannic acid content in making it much more decay resistant outdoors than any of the Red Oaks.Properties of American & European White Oaks are quite similar, minor differences are in growth rates,pore structure etc.Soil & location can be a factor also.

I do like the smell of any of the White Oaks,whether green or dry,when freshly sawed or machined.Has that 'vanilla' like scent.Red Oaks when green can usually smell nasty IMO,like a combo of mouldy Provolone & my sweaty feet in summer lol.

Thistle said:
Woody Stover said:
I do like the smell of any of the White Oaks,whether green or dry,when freshly sawed or machined.Has that 'vanilla' like scent.Red Oaks when green can usually smell nasty IMO,like a combo of mouldy Provolone & my sweaty feet in summer lol.
The best White Oak I've smelled was when I split some stuff that sat around in a pile of rounds for a couple of years. It took forever to split that stuff because I stopped to smell dang near every piece. :lol:
A neighbor has a blowdown trunk that I'm going to get when I have the time. I can't wait. :cheese:
If you look closely at the last pic at the bottom of my "Buckt Cherry" post, there's a small round of White, one of several that I got off a torn-off branch that was nearby.

No response from JR-CT yet about the rays, but I'd be willing to put money on it being White. Both the bark and the end grain are just like the White that I've cut here.

Status
Not open for further replies.