My "Woodland" pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Got Wood

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
Dutchess Cty, NY
Took a few pictures yesterday of my wood processing/storage area.
(yes, it is in shade but I dont have much choice!)

Attachments

• DSC00769W.jpg
    DSC00769W.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 575
  • DSC00771w.jpg
    DSC00771w.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 580
  • DSC00773w.jpg
    DSC00773w.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 577
  • DSC00774w.jpg
    DSC00774w.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 603
  • DSC00775W.jpg
    DSC00775W.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 611
  • DSC00780w.jpg
    DSC00780w.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 653
Those pics are hard to see

Well that didnt work to well....I saved them as Thumbnails and they dont expand... I'll try again

fixed in original post

Nice set up you got going on!

Looks very good.

Your woods in the back look very mature..Doesnt look like there is much undergrowth etc..was up on my lot last night (logged this past winter)..looks WAY differnet..lots of slash and smaller trees down/leaning and pine branch's all over..But I guess that is to be expected..Its not like your picking flowers.

I actually get very little out of the woods in the back. Most is not my property. If a tree falls nearby, I will go ask the couple that owns it if they are ok with me cutting it up but I dont ask often. I do have a big standing dead oak that I am waiting on falling - that one I will ask about!
From talking to friends I have come upon a couple good areas to get my wood. I have become a believer in letting people know you want wood, never saying no to an opportunity, acting quickly when one comes and being appreciative to those that help.
One story, a friend who knows I am interested in wood & who has land he wants managed likes having me work with him. He asked if I would be interested in helping out on his mothers property taking a few trees down (turns out more than a few). I jumped on it. We spent 7 hours Saturday cutting, splitting and mostly cleaning up her yard. The place looked great when we finished. I took home only about 1/3 cord of split wood but more importantly I was able to help the folks that are helping me... and his mother made us a great meal! And we are going back to take down 3 more trees - sizeable oaks! He then offered to let me borrow his splitter to finish up the "tough" to split pile I have accumulated (see the last 2 pictures)....which I will be doing this evening.

Nice job.
Looks like your next project is to build up the outdoor fire pit :)

ilikewood said:
Nice job.
Looks like your next project is to build up the outdoor fire pit :)
I'd be worried about a live ember from that pit catching my woodpiles on fire. Looks too close for comfort.

smokinj said:
Those pics are hard to see
Ja, I tried to "Click thumbnail to see full-size image" and they got smaller!

LLigetfa after you click them on just hold down the control key and keep hitting the + key.

Very neat operation you have there Got Wood...that's a lot of wheelbarrowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.