Mysterious fungus on my butternut splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sksmass

Dec 21, 2009
Western MA
Can anyone educate me about this white fungus? Oddly, I only get it on my butternut splits. This picture is of a mixed pile of butternut and norway maple splits both cut in April '09 (been drying for 16 months now). Almost all of the butternut pieces have this white fungus growing on them.

Now, before people leap to the conclusion that my stack must be in a cave or something, after this pic was taken I took the butternut piece in the middle of the photo, split it fresh and checked it with my moisture meter. It measured 13%. I also split the norway maple near the top of the photo and it measured 21%. So, they are drying fine.

Weird. A bone dry piece of wood growing shrooms.

Attachments

• fungus.jpg
    fungus.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 385
I think this happens after rain, no?

It is there pretty much permanently. It might "bloom" a little more after a rain. But it never goes away. Maybe I should just consider it extra BTUs because I'm sure it'll burn :)

I think is an organic surface mushroom issue. They gain a foothold on wet organic matter. As long as it rains occasionally they will stay alive.

OMG, quick, burn it! :lol:

sksmass said:
It seems like there is something especially conducive to them on the butternut. Probably pH or something.

It must be the butter!

Like most things you find in your wood pile it is nothing to get excited about.

I get that stuff and it'll spread across the woodpile a bit. I am not sure, but I think it's nothing to be concernerd about.

There is a fungus among us. ;)

Sorry,,,,cant help myself on this one. But,,,anything involving nuts and fungus....needs to be checked immediately. !!

Adios Pantalones said:
Butternut fungus... my mom came *this close* to naming me that.
Sorry I'm confused... which one?? Butternut or Fungus? I know someone named Angus. I have names I won't repeat here that don't even show up on my dirth certificate so I wonder how so many people found out what they were??? Sometimes I guess we're just the last to know. I would like to see the list though... just to avoid surprises... My mom has a funny bone too.

I get an orange fungii on the cherry splits. Usually just on the ends, but sometimes on the sides too.
Just enough moisture in the Summer, Winter cold (and a flame) does it in.

Cave2k said:
Adios Pantalones said:
Butternut fungus... my mom came *this close* to naming me that.
Sorry I'm confused... which one?? Butternut or Fungus? I know someone named Angus. I have names I won't repeat here that don't even show up on my dirth certificate so I wonder how so many people found out what they were??? Sometimes I guess we're just the last to know. I would like to see the list though... just to avoid surprises... My mom has a funny bone too.

Is his first name Aberdeen by any chance?

i cut alot of nut tree's and have the same thing happen.
but this one was touching the ground since spring and it stinks bad ;-P

DSC07930.jpg

Maybe cuz the topic is fun, Gus?

But nobody evidently caught on to the Aberdeen! Maybe because there aren't many farmers here. But I'd thought that at least quads would have chimed in because he knows what I am talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.