Mystery ground formation appeared over night next to driveway! What is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As well as the work repairing the lawn.

I was under the impression that moles didn't live in close quarters (with other moles).
That's what I understand too. They are very territorial and will fight to the death. But a new mole will take over an abandoned run, so you never know if it's over in any one spot. And they multiply. Probably the only time they will be together, and the nests are built very deep.

I was under the impression that moles didn't live in close quarters (with other moles).

I also have heard that they are territorial. Over the years I have slaughtered several families, depends where you are in their breeding cycle. You get mommy and daddy large, and then 3 or so much smaller juvenilles (not always in that order) before new mounds stop being pushed up. Usually though, as you would expect, it is just one adult causing all of the damage. One kill and done for a couple of months until a neighboring mole family sends a juvenile out in exile to find his own turf.

Yes, they use the old tunnels for sure. Same mound locations and everything.

The regulation prohibiting snap traps for moles, but oddly not for rats, was an unfortunate error

I am convinced Initiative 713 did not ban trapping moles. I personally continue to use mole traps. I don't necessarily recommend others do so, however, because we live in a state that elects people who love throwing their weight around, and it will take significant legal trouble to fend them off if they come after you.

The background on this is that Christine Gregoire, when she was the attorney general, released an *unofficial* opinion that it did in response to a question (the same attorney general, by the way, who forbid state firefighters from assisting at the Oso mudslide search and rescue because in a similar opinion she ruled that the term "natural disasters" in the state laws restricting the use of state firefighting funds, meant "fires, and only fires."). As a result, the state started pressing charges against mole trap users, and nobody has really tried to challenge it.

Note that the attorney general does not have actual authority to interpret the law. They have discretion in prosecuting according to their understanding of the law, but the actual authority lies with the courts, who have a duty to correct them when they are wrong.

The first problem is the ambiguities in the definitions of body grasping and both the contradictions between the attorney general's interpretation and the intent of the law to prevent indiscriminate (being underground with the exposed, non-grasping part easily covered, mole traps are very discriminate) and cruel traps (mole traps generally kill quickly), and the contradiction between the definition of grasping and the explicit exemption of mouse and rat traps, pests of a similar nature to moles. The initiative established violation as a crime, not merely an infraction, which means a conviction requires proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Those ambiguities and contradictions do not allow such proof.

The bigger problem is that is not permissible to ignore legislative intent when interpreting a law (King v. Burwell, upholding the Affordable Care Act re-affirmed this fact in the Supreme Court), and in this case, leaves no doubt that mole traps are not to be banned by the law. The legislative body in this case, the voters who passed the initiative, were explicitly told in the voters pamphlet, "1-713 allows body-gripping traps to protect public health and safety, property, livestock, and endangered species. It doesn't ban trapping of moles, gophers, mice, or rats- animals not trapped for fur." On that basis, even a non-criminal infraction wouldn't stick, because the preponderance of evidence is that the voters intended for the law to allow mole trapping.

Reactions: Highbeam
An example of the absurdity of it all is the fact that for 10 years after the initiative, the state was using these same traps to control moles around the Capitol and Governor's Mansion. The Game department is right across the street. After 10 years, they finally gave the General Administration a "warning".
http://blog.thenewstribune.com/opinion/tag/initiative-713/

I'd agree with what State Rep Hans Dunshee said about an enforcement issue back in 2007 involving a commercial trapper: "You'd think they'd have better things to spend their money on," That story was told by this Seattle PI article: http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Mole-traps-can-lead-to-mountain-of-trouble-1235780.php

Apparently, nobody has been cited other than the commercial trapper who was outed by a competitor in 2007 shown in the second article. So maybe they do have better things to do these days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.