Mystery holes in fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugabuga

Sep 9, 2008
Washington, DC
Hi guys,

I'm a first-time homebuyer in need of some advice. Upon moving in, we discovered that right above the mantel on our wood-buring brick fireplace, the previous owner has drilled four small holes at the four corners of a square and a large one (about 2 inches in diameter) in the middle of said square. (It was covered up by a picture before and our home inspector did not catch it.) I'm assuming something was supposed to be installed in there, but since I have zero experience with fireplaces, I have no idea what, and can't get a hold of the previous homeowner to ask him. Do you have any idea why those holes could have been drilled? Thank you in advance for your help and apologies for what I'm sure is probably a very stupid question.

In Washington DC, I'm thinking it was likely a loophole. (Just kidding, I've no idea whatever what it might have been. Fill it with mortar and put the picture back up). Rick

EDIT: Oh yeah...welcome to the forum!

Hehe, thanks guys! Your replies actually put my mind at ease. I've been scouring the Internet for the past two days, thinking it might be some critical vent, or valve, or something, without which the fireplace would explode into a pile of burning rubble. I'm gonna spackle it over, paint it, and forget about it.

sinnian said:

Sounds right. Four holes for a mounting plate, and a larger one to feed the wires through.

I was thinking maybe it was bugged by someone in the Soviet embassy during the Cold War. Or maybe somebody in the CIA. Rick

Those damn big screens are everywhere, and they are addictive too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.