Mystery Stove Please Help Identify

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wince

Jan 11, 2012
North Ga
Hello,

Could anyone please help me identify this stove? This stove came with our home purchased last November. This is a very efficient stove. I need a fire screen for this stove. The only identifying information on this stove is the front. I can not find a stove with the name Skyline. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Attachments

• 036-1.jpg
    036-1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 438
  • 037-1.jpg
    037-1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 438
I have not heard of this manufacturer, but looks very similar to a Fisher-type copy.

Why is it very efficient?

This is most certainly one of the hundreds of copies of the Fisher type stove. There were 500 or more makers by about 1981, and less than 30 exist today.

Many were very regional - given the name, I suspect it was made along the skyline drive area - say VA or NC, and may have only sold a few hundred locally. I can assure you I've never seen it in any ads, trade journals etc.

It would burn even slower if you remove the log grate. They were not normally used in a stove of that design. Keep the wood in about an inch of ash when you clean it. You'll find the coals last much longer and you will start using the stove differently. These warm days I get an entire day out of a bed of coals raked around morning and afternoon, then load it at 3 or 4 PM and it takes right off.
It may be a coal basket, since it doesn't look like Chestnut coal size will drop through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.