N.S./E.W./ Z loading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking that would be one very unstable fuel load. I sure as heck wouldn't open the door until it was burnt to coals.

I have started loading upside down. Find that this improves burn times due to the growth rings being in a negative flux.

Guess I didn't word it right. It wasn't meant to be a stupid question.
I was just curious about the burn characteristics of blocks stood on end and if anyone has messed with this.

Ask ScottF, that's the only way he can load that old stove he restored. Rick

As I work through the wood pile I will be hitting a batch of chunks stuck in between the rows. I'll give it a try with the shorties, (they have to be 9" high or less).

I would think that they would burn much quicker. Just watch a tree that is on fire.

I have been burning chunks from my 24" to 17" cut down. I found that if the chunks are thrown in on hot coals no problem but for starting if you just set them standing up they have to have the right spacing or they are a slow starter. It is really a simple answer as they do not want to stand up if you have a coal bed so cold start is only place to see them work and they do better laying down. A lot of words to say it ain't worth it.

I load and burn all my wood standing up. Like Rick said my old stove will only take them standing up. My drum is about 32 inches tall and 12 - 14 inches round. I just start in the back and stand them up working towards the front. It seems to work great. They burn only as fast as you want by reducing the air and closing the flu damper . They dont fall out when you open the door as I tilt them all toward the back, eventually they all collapse to the bottom to a nice stove full of hot coals. When you want to reload you just push what is left toward the back and fill the front again. I have not problems at all and can fit 4 or 5 good size splits at at time.

Like Rick said in a previous post however, can I burn wood standing vertically, why yes, I can...although sometimes I really prefer to be lying down while I’m burning wood. Rick

ScottF said:
I load and burn all my wood standing up. Like Rick said my old stove will only take them standing up. My drum is about 32 inches tall and 12 - 14 inches round. I just start in the back and stand them up working towards the front. It seems to work great. They burn only as fast as you want by reducing the air and closing the flu damper . They dont fall out when you open the door as I tilt them all toward the back, eventually they all collapse to the bottom to a nice stove full of hot coals. When you want to reload you just push what is left toward the back and fill the front again. I have not problems at all and can fit 4 or 5 good size splits at at time.

Like Rick said in a previous post however, can I burn wood standing vertically, why yes, I can...although sometimes I really prefer to be lying down while I’m burning wood. Rick

Is there a picture of your stove, ScottF, somewhere here? It sounds very different, and I like different.

Thanks for the replys-

ScottF said:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/21113/

Yes look here

Very nice. How much?
In that thread you were talking about mica and I wondered if that's the same stuff in the window on my kerosun heater. It resembles very thin plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.