N-S loading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brooktrout

Dec 23, 2007
Hamden, NY
Well, I've read a lot about the N-S vs E-W loading, so I thought I'd give it a try. All last season and up until last nite, I've always loaded E-W. I can fit up to 23" splits this way, so I just figured it was best. But last nite I found myself with a bunch of shorties (14"-16") on hand. So, I loaded it up at 9:30, and proceeded with the same draft/damper adjustments as usual. After checking on it a couple times throughout the nite, I was pleased to acheive 9 1/2 hours of steady 400-500 degree burn (read on the Rutland on the door)! House stayed 70 'till 7am! Too bad I have three winters worth already processed :shut:

Kinda not surprised.. Mine takes the bigger splits n/s and that is mostly the way I have loading. Lazziness on my part, but I dont notice a whole lot of difference either way.

But then again, it hasen`t got seriously cold enough here to care, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.