N/S vs E/W loading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dtabor

Feb 8, 2007
Lake Elmore, VT
Is the difference in heat output that much more with N/S loading that it makes it worth cutting my wood so much smaller? Just wondering as I can get wood almost 2x the length in if I put it E/W compared to N/S. I like the thought of not having to cut/split as much by cutting longer but if I will see that much difference I would consider it!

Well, I can do 22-24" wood e/w but in the mid teens Id guess n/s (haven't measured that way), thats a big difference in cut when Im hacking away at my pile! Id sure like to cut my sawing time down by cutting them longer ahd have less rounds to split but also want the best heat too.

I have, in fact its d/l to my pc where i can watch whenever.....

Just rewatched the loading part...she says her firebox is square so can go either way, but some arent so not an option.... mine is rectangle so my N/S wood would have to be smaller...Im going to measure tonite to see how long the splits can be....might not be a big deal....

I think the N/S and E/W is mainly dependent on your air flow circulation within the box.

I think the PE she was using has the air holes on the front of the unit.
So it would directly effect the burning of wood depending on which way you would load it.

I read the video script and lots of good informatin on building and burning a fire. I think in our quest to have everything
perfect in this day and age we really overdue our concerns about perfection.

I usually load in whatever way the wood will fit and have had no problems with it burning. This N/S.....E/W idea brings a
big grin to my face just thinking about it. ROTFL...I doubt either way would make a big difference in the heat the wood will
produce. The draft and inlet air is what controls the burn rate. Your stove manual will tell you which way to load the wood
for the best burn and airflow over it. Not really something to ponder too much over in my book.

Good luck with your burn methods and hope your house is always warm.

I think the firebox footprint of the stove Gulland was using is nearly square. If yours is clearly rectangular, it was probably optimized for logs going the long dimension.

Actually, the way the wood is loaded will make a difference, depending on the stove and air supply to the fire. The classic example is a box stove like the Jotul 602 which can be only loaded N/S. Air is fed at the end and travels 'parallel' to the splits. This delivers complete combustion quickly to the entire split. The result is in a quicker hotter fire. The 602 has a reputation for being a quick heater and one with a great appetite for wood. The opposite example would be a narrow, but wide stove like the Jotul F3CB or F400 which really wants to be loaded E/W. In this case, the air is delivered across the face of the front split. The split(s) behind it gets less air and is slower to ignite.

In the video they use a Summit with an almost square firebox. In this stove you can really see the difference when you try it both ways. I've been experimenting with the T6 and do see the difference, mostly in speed of warming up (N/S) and with E/W in slower burns. With the moderating weather I am starting N/S, then refilling E/W.

I have found in my Summit that E/W does not work well by itself. N/S works much better for a hotter burn. You get OK temps going E/W but a lot of thick coals left in the morning. If I load E/W it will be on top of 3 or 4 splits N/S.

Now I am getting an Avalon and I have heard that Adirondack burns his N/S but he used to burn it N/S with E/W on top and have good results. My father in law burns his Olympic E/W only and get good burns.

As others have said, each stove is different and you really need to try it out yourself in different combinations to get that "perfect burn", Chimney length will make a difference also

I would say overall N/S load for hotter burn, E/W longer burn in mild temps.

I've tried for the elusive overnight burn in our Lopi Liberty (generous firebox) loading it both E-W & N-S. Because of the length of the wood we burn, I can actually load more into the box N-S. The video says E-W is the best for a long burn, but I figure if I can load more fuel in by putting it in N-S, that gives me a longer potential burn, and I've had the best success that way. I think in my stove the position of the air control has a bigger effect than the orientation of my fuel. Truth be told, I burn more wood NW-SE or whatever looks like it'll toss in there nicely after a bit of poking around with my poker than any other way. Rick

Well, after looking at it last night...I dont think I will bother with n/s. with the shape of things in the box, my wood would have to be small, like not much over a foot to be consistent. Im not going to take the time to do my wood that small...I'll do my 22" splits E/W and go from there. I was warm this winter, just wondering if there was something better!! You know, the grass is always greener!!!

Thanks for all the input everyone!

D

I guess I never cared how I put the wood in the fire box because if I do it one way I can get 16" pieces but the other way the woul be more like 8" or 10". So that leads to my question, when you say n/s or e/w how do you determine this? What is your point of reference? Maybe a stupid question but I've never paid much attention to this and have noticed several conversations about this since I joined.

Thats what Im looking at....I can take 22" one way and the other would be MAYBE 12" or a bit more if I was lucky. Point of reference is looking at the front loading doors of the stove. In my manual it doesnt even differentiate between the two and the diagrams show E/W.

man i cut my wood as long as i can and stuff it in the oslo east/west. if i have smaller stuff i'll shove it in there any old way i can, but for the majority of my wood it's e/w. NOW, it's important in my stove to keep a clear area in front of the three primary air inlet holes, don't wanna clog 'em up there.

Which way you load depends on your stove! A shallow but wide VC, jotul etc has to be loaded E/W (unless you don't mind cutting your splits less than 12")

If you have a roughly square firebox PE, Englander etc. you have the luxury of loading either way.

When it comes to loading the most amount of wood into a firebox, N/S with a front loading door is king.

lvfd50 said:
when you say n/s or e/w how do you determine this? What is your point of reference? Maybe a stupid question but I've never paid much attention to this and have noticed several conversations about this since I joined.

Not at all a stupid question...not necessarily intuitive. Of course, it has nothing to do with the way your stove is actually oriented with respect to Polaris. Just imagine gazing into your firebox and that you are on the South side of it, the back wall is North. So, E-W is just right to left, or the splits parallel with the front and back walls. N-S is perpendicular to that, so you end up looking at all the ends of the splits rather than their sides when you're loading. That's all there is to this terminological mystery. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.