Nailed it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
In large part thanks to info I picked up here I've got one heck of show going on in the Jotul.

Struggled with some subpar wood yesterday but not today!

As it should be!

How about tomorrow?!?

pen

pen said:
As it should be!

How about tomorrow?!?
pen

What can I say? I'm a work in progress so no promises (first year with EPA insert).

Yesterday tried starting off using some cherry and cedar of dubious provenance :) because the locust can be hard to start with. Sucky day, took acouple hours before things were rolling. Not that I needed a lot of heat but wasn't one of my better moments.

Today went back to the good stuff with good kindling and voila. I think I need to let the stove stretch its legs a little too. Not real comfortable with the high temps yet and I had a scare a couple weeks ago but the extra heat really makes for better action with the secondaries as you were just discussing in another thread.

Everything gets easier once the shoulder season is over if you plan on burning 24/7 or close to it. Loading on hot coals is a whole different beast!

Sounds like you are ready for it though.

pen

In some ways I'm looking forward to burning 24/7 . . . in many ways it is far easier to just keep things rolling vs. starting a fire from scratch like I am now . . . on the plus side . . . I like the outside temps right now.

firefighterjake said:
In some ways I'm looking forward to burning 24/7 . . . in many ways it is far easier to just keep things rolling vs. starting a fire from scratch like I am now . . . on the plus side . . . I like the outside temps right now.

I agree, I appreciate (less work during 24/7 time) letting the stove just 'run'. No need for shoulder fires and the heat is always on!

Status
Not open for further replies.