Nails deep inside a round.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeePee

Nov 15, 2008
Mississauga, Ontario
I was splitting some big rounds this morning and was surprised to find some nails buried deep inside. They were about 8" beneath the bark with no external indication they were there. Thankfully I didn't cut into these! I'm sorry the picture is so crummy.

Attachments

• Optimized.IMG00034.jpg
    Optimized.IMG00034.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 683
I've run into similar. I saw mine in a huge Beech tree. I'm guessing it was 150 years old. Appears as if someone hung a sign or posted something. Pretty cool to uncover stuff like that. You wonder what was happening during that time period.

I've found barbed wire pretty deep in maple. It does make you think.

And that is the reason most sawmills won't take trees from around yards and in fencerows. Does nasty things to those big saws. I speak from experience. I always hated sharpening after hitting nails....

The big spikes I found a month ago took some pretty good chunks out of my bar. They were about a foot inside a 40" maple tree that had been in front of a friends old farmhouse for many generations.

I split a 14" round last week that had a loop of twin inside almost 2" in. Perfectly followed the growth rings. It was pretty well preserved.

which twin was loopy?

Stranded wire 2 inches into maple = 2 big dings in my axe

Yup...just about every year it's something...fellow on the arboristsite site found the remnants of a rifle in a tree he was cutting.
3769909669_45570fd2b5.jpg

I was lucky I noticed this before harvesting...but barbed wire buried in the wood is common. City trees and back yard shade trees have a lot of nails and eye hooks from when folks hanged laundry.

I would love to see a pic of the rifle...

For some "God only knows" reason, someone strung up an electric fence around the back part of our yard at our VT house. It's very perplexing because it's on a hill an not exactly the type of land you'd want a grazing animal roaming around on.

Anways, there's a ton of those insulator things nailed into trees. Once fall comes, I'll probably spend some time with some large plyers pulling them out of the trees.

fyrwoodguy said:
it's always good to miss iron in wood while sawing
th_METALINWOOD003.jpg

;-)
As Maxwell Smart would say, "Missed it by that much".

Skier76 said:
For some "God only knows" reason, someone strung up an electric fence around the back part of our yard at our VT house. It's very perplexing because it's on a hill an not exactly the type of land you'd want a grazing animal roaming around on.

Anways, there's a ton of those insulator things nailed into trees. Once fall comes, I'll probably spend some time with some large plyers pulling them out of the trees.

Deer fence?

I have to watch for galvanized wire used to corral horses back in the fifties around here.
I have an oak or two with the wire still hanging out.

There's a white oak with chains hanging out of it about 15 feet up.
Big fist sized links. engine hoist ?

CarbonNeutral said:
Skier76 said:

Deer fence?

Possibly! It seems like a lot of work just to keep out some deer...but you never know I pulled down a lot of galvanized fencing that was just holding up a bunch of leaves. I'll try and take some pics this weekend of the plastic insulator things that are tacked up into a bunch of the trees.

Skier76 said:
CarbonNeutral said:
Skier76 said:

Deer fence?

Possibly! It seems like a lot of work just to keep out some deer...but you never know I pulled down a lot of galvanized fencing that was just holding up a bunch of leaves. I'll try and take some pics this weekend of the plastic insulator things that are tacked up into a bunch of the trees.
How high up the trunks are they? Yes, photos please.

Skier76 said:
CarbonNeutral said:
Skier76 said:

Deer fence?

Maybe an old victory garden? Without our 8 foot wire fence, our garden gets decimated in a single night by deer.

[quote author="savageactor7" date="1248928477"]
3769909669_45570fd2b5.jpg

quote]

back about 25+ yrs ago,i cut off some really nice white pine tree's on a lot between the swift & saco rivers here in town.the tree's were scaling between 1200-1600 feet each tree.
the mill i shipped the logs too DID NOT LIKE THOSE INSULATORS, that they found about 12"-14" inside the wood 14 feet up in the first log of many tree's.

i was telling my mother about the insulators and she told me " oh when i was a young girl we had the most delightful dances at nite out under those pines" :-/

By the position of the hook and the growth rings, I'm thinking 60 years old....

Glad I was splitting, not sawing.

Attachments

• P1050096.JPG
    P1050096.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 212
ya'll are right it does make ya think about all the history in trees. My family started this farm 160 years ago we have some big and old trees, and with my grandpa being 92 and being born and living here almost all his life, i find things all the time and call him and he tells me what things are i find in the trees and why its there, preaty cool some of the things he remembers from when he was a kid. some of the trees were here when he was born, and he played in them as a kid. theres a tree fort he and his dad built when he was 10 that the tree grew around over the years there is still pieces of it stickin out cool stuff. enjoy what ya find from the past it will make ya think.

Status
Not open for further replies.