Name that Stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrispr1

Jan 3, 2008
Hartford, CT
I got this stove from my neighbor's widow when she upgraded hers. It measures about 3' tall and about 2' square. It has two doors; the top one leading to a 16"-ish diameter firebox and the lower one to access the ash pan. It is a solid unit with a metal shroud on either side and the rear of it. It has a 6" flue pipe above a 4" provision for a blower. They used it to burn coal and wood. Anyone have any ideas? The data plate is unreadable.

For re-painting, should I just use a high-temperature barbeque-style paint? The insulation (maybe asbestos) on the inside of the front door has fallen off - what would you recommend to put there in it's place?
Thanks!

PS I just tried to attach pictures and they're too big. I have 3 pictures available and gladly forward them to anyone interested. Thanks again.

Sounds more like a furnace.
If you need help with the pics, PM me & I'll give ya my email and resizem fer ya.

I thinkg Steve would be a great name for a stove (you said name it)

Chris you have resized photos in your mailbox.
If ya need me to post here, let me know.

Ah hell I'll just postem, but you have copies for your file.

Attachments

• New Stove 001.jpg
    New Stove 001.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 444
  • New Stove 002.jpg
    New Stove 002.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 406
  • New Stove 003.jpg
    New Stove 003.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 484
Is that thing a coal stove? Thats some seriously thick steel.

Thanks again Hogz for resizing them for me. It was used for coal and wood. the Big round circular firepit looks like it would work best with coal because the wood would have to be cut to 8-10" lengths to get it to fit in. It's firebrick lined from the base to about 2/3 to the top. I would estimate that it weighs between 300-400 lbs. On the open door you might be able to see the lining on the door. I am virtually certain that it's something like asbestos and the only thing that comes to mind is that it was done to keep the door cooler than the rest of the unit. When I was cleaning it out it practically fell off when the vacuum went near it. My thoughts are to replace it with firecord around the perimeter of the doors.

If it is indeed asbestos, I would seriously be careful if I was you. The round pot is why I thought it was a coal stove.
Is one of those handles underneath a handle for a shaker grate? Does it have a shaker grate?
And no prob, glad to help.

Sure looks like a coal unit. Is there no identifying information on the label on the back of the stove?

yes, there is a shaker grate on the bottom door...a handle slides out on a track and you wiggle it from side to side to spin the small grate in the pit...there's a larger-diameter stationary grate and the smaller one.
being that i can't buy asbestos lining at home depot i was thinking about getting rid of it and just fitting a piece of sheetmetal with about 1/2 inch of airspace between the back of the door and the metal itself. it certainly won't insulate the door as good as the original, but there aren't too many good alternatives.
i know that they burned coal in it but more recently they were using it for wood. is there any danger in burning wood in a stove like this - even if it was only certified for coal fuel back when it was produced? is it one of those issues that would void the warranty on the unit (not important to me) or is it an honest safety concern?

ther is a data plate on the rear of the unit but it's unreadable. it wasn't stamped that hard or it's just really old.

i'm guessing but i don't think the gasket was on the door for insulating the door.i was most likely there to make it more air tight. my hearthstone 2 has it's door mounted to the stone and that door get so hot it's not funny. at times hotter than the stones. as far as burning wood you need to burn wood in it to get the coal going so i don't see any harm in using wood. but most likely you go thru wood like there's no tomorrow.

take a piece of that stuff you think is asbestos into a stove shop and they will fix you up with
some rope gasket and cement and you'll be off to the races. don't run that stove without the gasket there is the possibility you could get that thing to hot.

I'm bumping this thread to the top in hopes that someone might know the manufacturer and/or model of the stove in the post below. I replaced the gaskets on both of the doors and used it all of 2008/2009 and it kept my house warm with both wood and coal. I'm also looking for a blower for it...any recommendations?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.