name that tree!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mroverkill

Feeling the Heat
Aug 10, 2010
Northern nj
overkillauto.com
soooo i have 3 of these monsters

Attachments

• tree1.jpg
    tree1.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 532
My book says is maybe a Siberian Elm. Sure looks like your pics in the book anyhow.

Shipper

Moe.

:)

Looks like White Ash to me.

I'll go also with Siberian Elm. I just got an ID on one too. Not the best firewood, but not the worse either. I passed on it. There are only a handful of trees I'll let someone give me.

Hmm. Was about to vote Ash, but too many leaflets... So I'll say Walnut as well.

The leaves appear to alternate which cancels out ash. Therefore your only left with a few options with a compound leaf like that. That would be walnut or pecan. I don't know if walnuts always produce nuts. Maybe something has happened to them to prevent nut production.

Leaf key for pinnately compound leaves.
http://forestry.about.com/od/treeidentification/tp/tree_key_id_hicash.htm

Dept. of Forestry. Not a great shot of the leaf, but not the description of the bark. Sounds like yours
http://www.dof.virginia.gov/trees/walnut-black.htm

Check and see if the leave are opposite or alternately arrange along the branch.

It does look like walnut. The bark and trunks do not look like ash to me.

My father's walnut trees (in upstate NY) produced no nuts this year, but mine are loaded as usual.

Mroverkill said:
nope no nuts on this tree or any of the 3
That doesn't totally rule out nut trees. You need mommies & daddies to make babies. You could have 3 of same sex or too few polinators.... My grandfather had 2 walnut trees on his yard for decades. A few years back one produced 2-3 walnuts for the first time.

After posting I realize I don't know for sure if you need male & females in proximity to get fruit. It just seems right to me. Anyone?

bsearcey said:
The leaves appear to alternate which cancels out ash. Therefore your only left with a few options with a compound leaf like that. That would be walnut or pecan. I don't know if walnuts always produce nuts. Maybe something has happened to them to prevent nut production.

ht://forestry.about.com/od/treeidentification/tp/tree_key_id_hicash.htm

Dept. of Forestry. Not a great shot of the leaf, but not the description of the bark. Sounds like yours
ht://www.dof.virginia.gov/trees/walnut-black.htm

Check and see if the leave are opposite or alternately arrange along the branch.
I think the leaves look opposite?

wood spliter said:
bsearcey said:

ht://forestry.about.com/od/treeidentification/tp/tree_key_id_hicash.htm

ht://www.dof.virginia.gov/trees/walnut-black.htm

I think the leaves look opposite?
They appear alternate to me.

The "leaf" one big bunch of the leaflets that you see. Are you looking at the leaflets being opposite one another on the main stem of the leaf? You need to look where the "leaf" attaches to the branch, see how they alternate?

[/quote]I think the leaves look opposite?[/quote]
I think the leaflets look opposite, but the (compound) leaves look alternate.

midwestcoast said:
After posting I realize I don't know for sure if you need male & females in proximity to get fruit. It just seems right to me. Anyone?
Male and female flowers on same tree.

Looks like black walnut to me, but usually by this time of year the trees have very few leaves and the ones that are there are usually yellowed and rusty looking, and dropping walnuts on my house all day

Status
Not open for further replies.