Name the insert...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Midwest
Every couple of years, I throw up a pic of my insert to see if anyone can name it. So far no luck, but we've had some pretty obscure ones lately and it seems somebody was able to identify each one. So I thought I'd give it another shot. I actually found an identical one for sale on the local craigslist, but that owner didn't even know who made it.

A few tips - it was originally built as a 'slammer' install - a metal firebox with a ~3" x 14" rectangular opening in the top only a thin piece of steel keeping flames from pouring right up the flue. It's about 35" wide and 23" tall at the front and tapers slightly in width toward the back. The horizontal brass handle is for the ash pan and the three small silver handles originally let air directly into the firebox.

Attachments

• insert.jpg
    insert.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 302
cozy heat said:
Every couple of years, I throw up a pic of my insert to see if anyone can name it. So far no luck, but we've had some pretty obscure ones lately and it seems somebody was able to identify each one. So I thought I'd give it another shot. I actually found an identical one for sale on the local craigslist, but that owner didn't even know who made it.

A few tips - it was originally built as a 'slammer' install - a metal firebox with a ~3" x 14" rectangular opening in the top only a thin piece of steel keeping flames from pouring right up the flue. It's about 35" wide and 23" tall at the front and tapers slightly in width toward the back. The horizontal brass handle is for the ash pan and the three small silver handles originally let air directly into the firebox.

I have no idea.

That being said, how long have you been using it, what type of burn times do you get, and how much of an area does it heat?

I've had it for about 8 years now - it was 'well used' before that, but nothing a fresh coat of paint and some welding couldn't fix. I burned it for the first season as an actual 'slammer'. Then over the next summer, did some research and formulated a plan to convert it to secondary combustion and standard 6" stove pipe. Been burning like that ever since. I've got a 70's 'rambling ranch' which is ~1600 feet main level and 1600 feet in the basement. We keep the main level warm and the basement in the low 60's on about 2-1/2 - 3 cords of wood per year. As for burn time, depends on the definition I guess - in the coldest parts of winter, I stoke it around 10:30-11pm, burn through the night and have coals left to rekindle a new fire @ 8am the next morning. I've replaced the door and window gaskets this year and also milled a slot to take a new gasket to help seal between the double doors. Will be interesting to see if it helps extend the burn time.

Every time I see your avatar I miss my old insert. Let me take a guess here. Get it up to temp and then slide those two primary air slides down to about an inch each from closed and let'er roll?

Is it a Buck?

Looks like a smiling martian with big eyebrows and antenna... I give up...

Is it an old Kozy heat insert? I just have to ask! :gulp:

All interesting thoughts. The previous owner said he thought it might be a Buck stove, so it's interesting to see that come up here as well. I agree it does look similar to the Lopi - through the doors are a bit different. I may have to drop these companies some correspondence after the 'peak season' is over and see if they can identify it as one of their older stoves. I guess this is more an exercise of curiosity than anything - I will keep burning / enjoying it (and probably updating it) regardless of the mfr.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.