Name this Kodiak Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigblocksierra

Oct 6, 2015
Stroudsburg, Pa
hey guys.
Just picked up this Kodiak Stove over the weekend from a gentleman who "refurbished" it. I was wondering if anyone knew of what name/model it is? It looks like it has had some modification done to it and was just wondering what it's supposed to look like vs now with what has been done.

Thanks.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Yes. Wood only. And the ash pan door has been fastened shut somehow in it. The guy says he believes it has what they called a "wood burner kit" in it. But I am unsure of such kit.

Get your wood ready in the mean time. That involves stacking the split wood in a sunny and windy spot, raised from the ground, and preferably top-covered. The longer you let it sit to dry out, the better it will burn and the more heat you will get out of it.

Btw. You can get a new stove with 1.5x to 2x the efficiency for less than $900.

Is that building listed as a garage or shop? Check with your local building authority and home insurance whether they are ok with a stove in a garage. Most codes don't allow it.

Two cords is a good start but if you plan on that stove heating most of your home next winter you will probably need quite a bit more than that.

Is that building listed as a garage or shop? Check with your local building authority and home insurance whether they are ok with a stove in a garage. Most codes don't allow it.

Two cords is a good start but if you plan on that stove heating most of your home next winter you will probably need quite a bit more than that.

Don't even get me started about legal/code issues...when I bought this house, almost everything in it was illegal/against code. I am slowly getting everything right, starting with the major issues first. Remember how I was saying I had chimney issues? Well that's cause the previous owner used the same chimney/flu for both the oil boiler and the wood stove he had in the house, which he also had the stove about 15-20 feet away from the chimney, so he ran the stove pipe up from the top of the stove, to the rafters of the sealing, 90 degrees towards the chimney, ran it the 15-20 feet along the rafters then 90 degrees into the chimney. Obviously that was one of the first issues I took care of by removing the wood stove from the house all together until I can get the boiler power-vented out to the side of the house..then I can use the chimney solely for the wood stove.

My home is only roughly 1,800 square feet, so this stove shouldn't have much trouble heating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.