Name this Vermont Castings stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtjf_1

Aug 29, 2013
BC Canada
So i am looking at this stove on Craigslist and I was wondering what model it is. If it is older than 1993 than mods feel free to move the post. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378185970.656312.jpg

Any help would be great they are asking about 400 for it.

This is an intrepid most likely a 1 non-cat stove. This would probably be pre-1993. By 1987 they were making the intrepid 2 catalytic model. They made all of the intrepid 1's with half glass doors. They did make the intrepid 2 with half glass doors for a couple years then went to the full length glass doors. The real way to tell is looking at the firebox. If it has a firebrick protecting the rear fireback it is an intrepid 1, if there is the cast iron throat in the back its an intrepid 2.

So it is an intrepid 2 1308. I am thinking of going to see it tomorrow. What should I look for and for less than $400 is it fixable for a decent price if I am looking at no cracked castings. Or better yet what should I look for?

Yes, examine for cracks and obvious abuse. However, the cat and refractory are the most likely failing points. If they are shot and you are willing to do a rebuild, offer $200.

Sounds good we are going to go have a look and make a decision as it is a 2 hour drive to where it is so lets hope it is in good shape

It's hard to tell from a distance with that one picture. Did they provide any closeups? Can you get them to send you some good pictures of the interior?

So had a look at it in was not in the best shape looked like it had been over burnt a couple times the stove was full of ash as if it had never been cleaned and paint was chipped off all over. My wife took one look and said no thank you i offered 200 but they said no so we left it there. A nice drive anyway.

$400 to much

Good for you on knowing when to walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.