Name this wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MANIAC

Apr 17, 2007
Bridgton Maine
My first scrounge attempt. Looked around a bit but don't really know what it is. What is it?

Attachments

• IMGP0347.JPG
    IMGP0347.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 345
I think it's probably white pine too. Does it smell? Is it sticky at all?

I thought it might be pine too but seemed heavier. They are good size chunks though. Didn't seem sticky and as far as smell goes I can do oak and cedar but other than that my nose isn't quite dialed in yet.

MANIAC said:
I thought it might be pine too but seemed heavier. They are good size chunks though. Didn't seem sticky and as far as smell goes I can do oak and cedar but other than that my nose isn't quite dialed in yet.

When you split it take note on moisture and string material. Could it be a species of maple?

If it's black Birch, nibble on the green layer immediately under the bark and it should taste like wintergreen.

jpl1nh said:
If it's black Birch, nibble on the green layer immediately under the bark and it should taste like wintergreen.

You just want to see if I'll run out to my truck and start chewing on a piece of bark don't you? :)

MANIAC said:
jpl1nh said:

You just want to see if I'll run out to my truck and start chewing on a piece of bark don't you? :)
"Why am I chewing on the firewood? :gulp: Well, honey, I just wanted to see what flavor it is, would you like to try a piece?" :cheese:

jpl1nh said:
MANIAC said:
jpl1nh said:

"Why am I chewing on the firewood? :gulp: Well, honey, I just wanted to see what flavor it is, would you like to try a piece?" :cheese:

YUCK!....................I don't think it's black birch. Could it be a s@&t;tree by any chance? :)

Looks like A LOTTA WORK splittin those 'Y's :gulp:

MANIAC said:
jpl1nh said:
MANIAC said:
jpl1nh said:

YUCK!....................I don't think it's black birch. Could it be a s@&t;tree by any chance? :)
You have me laughing so hard now I can't get any work done!! Good think you didn't offer any to the wife! I still thinks its pine which probably tastes like s@&t;. But I like Driftwood's take on it, regardless, split it, stack it, dry it, and burn it. It'll work. Is it at your MA home or the ME cabin? If it's in ME, I may yet get up there and I could eat some and maybe tell you what it is. :p

I split a pine once, and there was this big pocket of sap that looked just like honey. I couldn't resist taking a tiny taste. It was most bitter thing I've ever encountered. Took a week to get that taste out of my mouth.

jpl1nh said:
MANIAC said:
jpl1nh said:
MANIAC said:
jpl1nh said:

You have me laughing so hard now I can't get any work done!! Good think you didn't offer any to the wife! I still thinks its pine which probably tastes like s@&t;. But I like Driftwood's take on it, regardless, split it, stack it, dry it, and burn it. It'll work. Is it at your MA home or the ME cabin? If it's in ME, I may yet get up there and I could eat some and maybe tell you what it is. :p

It's in MA. I have an F350 pickup that I go up with every weekend so bringing a load with me is really NBD.

Glad I could provide a little humor. Did you get to Maine this past weekend?

No, I didn't make it up there. My wife went up instead since I ended up having to work. I'd love to get up there and see your place sometime but it's getting on my crazy season. I'm in the floral business and the holidays are coming. I really am pretty much flat out from now til Christmas. Maybe this winter.

I think that one Y standing up scream Maple! I can see why you got this stuff for free, with all of those tough to split pieces. What they call that, ass wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.