Napolean Insert burners have Q

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burd

Feeling the Heat
Feb 29, 2008
Bell bell Pa.
During the winter months I had a small problem with a little run a way fire I pack the insert with some really dry wood for and over night burn and I opened my controls to get it started and it ignited very quickly. I shut the controls down but the temps keep climbing for about a hour or so got up to over 750 and then started to come back down. My Q is is there a secondary air control on the insert that I'm not aware of ? Is it normal for the temps to go up like that with the controls shut down?
All so will this be a problem in the future for I have some really dry wood witch is good for really cold nights about a cord.How do you stop the temps from climbing that high if you dont need that much heat?Our is this normal for the inserts to do this?Do we have a better way of controlling the oxygen thats getting to the fire box? Im a first time burner and Im lovin the free heat I just like to have better control of the temps. Any trick of the trade wood be great for next year.

What type of wood are you burning? This happens to many first time burners and new stove owners. It's actually fairly normal and not specific to inserts or Napoleon stoves. The air control regulates the primary air supply, but not the secondary air supply. Putting a fresh load of very dry wood on a full, hot bed of coals will cause a very rapid rise in temps. What happens is the wood outgasses rapidly and then a strong secondary combustion follows, raising the temperature significantly. There are times when it's below zero when this might be desired. But often it isn't.

For normal burning when you don't want a super hot stove, try using much larger splits of dry wood. If you have a variety of wood, mix species of wood too. You want the wood to outgas and burn more gradually. Before reloading wait until the coal bed is low and has burned down. The stove temp will be down too, maybe as low as 300 degrees. After reloading, there will still be a rapid rise of temperature, the stove may hit 650-700 for about 20-30 minutes, let the wood burn for 5-10 minutes then close the air control in stages to the desired burn level. It should respond to the air control and settle down and cruise for hours at it's normal operating temperature.

Here's a discussion on the phenomenon:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11753/

BeGreen said:
What type of wood are you burning? This happens to many first time burners and new stove owners. It's actually fairly normal and not specific to inserts or Napoleon stoves. The air control regulates the primary air supply, but not the secondary air supply. Putting a fresh load of very dry wood on a full, hot bed of coals will cause a very rapid rise in temps. What happens is the wood outgas rapidly and then a strong secondary combustion follows, raising the temperature significantly. There are times when it's below zero when this might be desired. But often it isn't.

For normal burning when you don't want a super hot stove, try using much larger splits of dry wood. If you have a variety of wood, mix species of wood too. You want the wood to outgas and burn more gradually. Before reloading wait until the coal bed is low and has burned down. The stove temp will be down too, maybe as low as 300 degrees. After reloading, there will still be a rapid rise of temperature, the stove may hit 650-700 for about 20-30 minutes, let the wood burn for 5-10 minutes then close the air control in stages to the desired burn level. It should respond to the air control and settle down and cruise for hours at it's normal operating temperature.

Here's a discussion on the phenomenon:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11753/
thanks BeGreen For the other forms and your toughts they were very help full and now Ill have that info In my little brain for next years If I can HA HA. You set me at ease and I cant wait to learn this stove next year.

A lot of new wood burners run into this with their first big fires. I think the key is to understand that a woodfire is not like a gas fire or electric heater that responds quickly to a change in setting. Wood stoves can have a delayed response to changes in the air control setting so one needs to anticipate how the fire will be in a little while. Sometimes this can be as much as 15-20 minutes later. There is a degree of skill and art to it, that's part of the fun. With practice, you'll know what wood burns quickest and slowest and how to make the stove provide just the right amount of heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.