Napolean NPI45 Draft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gopher69

Nov 6, 2014
NH
Have a serious issue with a draft coming from my Napolean NPI 45 pellet stove.
First of all, experiencing this issue when the stove is NOT running.
Draft appears to be coming from "bottom" of stove.

Some background......
This is the first season using a pellet stove in my existing brick clay lined fireplace.
I had a chimney & stove professional install a 4" stainless steel liner from top of chimney down through the chimney damper. Actually the chimney damper-baffle was totally removed.
A chimney cap with flue cover was installed at top of chimney, which cover the entire clay lining.

I pulled off the decorative backing plate cover, which attaches above the stove (which covers the opening to the fireplace), to look up inside the damper. Much to my surprise 'the professional' did not install any type of cover in the flue damper around the stove pipe. The pipe was just shoved up the damper to the top of the chimney. So consequently, I have this huge open space in the damper around the stove pipe. Seems like "the professional' did an unprofessional job !

Could this be causing the draft? If so, why would the draft be coming from the bottom of the stove?

Last, thoughts on metal material and how to cut (fabricate), to cover hole in damper around stove pipe.

Thanks for your feedback, greatly appreciated !
Gopher69

Because the air from the flue is going through the stove and out the air intake which is near the bottom of the stove for one possibility.

It could also be coming down the original chimney through any possible unsealed gaps in the top plate or any other penetrations into the chimney.

You might also have a negative pressure situation in the stove room. Lower level floors are more prone to being in this state.

Reactions: Gopher69
Because the air from the flue is going through the stove and out the air intake which is near the bottom of the stove for one possibility.

It could also be coming down the original chimney through any possible unsealed gaps in the top plate or any other penetrations into the chimney.

You might also have a negative pressure situation in the stove room. Lower level floors are more prone to being in this state.

Thanks SmokeyTheBear for the valuable info., greatly appreciated !!!!

It very well could be air from the flue is going through the stove and out the air intake which is near the bottom of the stove. Never thought of that ?

As far as 'negative pressure' in the house...... How does one offset that situation?

Thanks SmokeyTheBear for the valuable info., greatly appreciated !!!!

It very well could be air from the flue is going through the stove and out the air intake which is near the bottom of the stove. Never thought of that ?

As far as 'negative pressure' in the house...... How does one offset that situation?

That will depend on a lot of things but first lets see what you have for an installation setup and if that source of cold air is from around the new flue due to lack of sealing things or down the flue and through the stove.

There is always the alternative that that cold air flow is actually going up the flue and that what you perceive as coming out is actually going towards the stove a smoke pencil other method than a body part is preferred for tracing air flow.

A good thing to use as a seal around a vent run up a chimney flue is Roxul http://www.homedepot.com/p/Roxul-Sa...e-Wool-Insulation-12-Pack-RXSS31525/202531875 you shuld be able to press fit it up there and perhaps use some metal strapping to secure it better. Or you can get a metal sheet and measure it to fit the chimney flue with an inch to inch and a half extra on all sides. Then cut that sheet in half after centering a circle the size of your flue (I'm hoping what you have was centered, if not this circle will have to be offset) then cut out the circle with snips. Bend the extra on all sides to a 90 degree angle such as the new lip is facing down when you place it in the chimney and anchor it to the chimney using appropriate fasteners. You have to be careful not to damage the chimney so likely you should talk to a chimney person and not some old geezer on an internet forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.