Napoleon 1100 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyra308

Mar 8, 2016
Pittsburgh Pa, PA
We are getting a woodburning insert in one of our existing fireplaces and I wondered if anyone has had any experience with the Napoleon 1100. We are trying for a flush model since our hearth is only 13" deep and we like the simple, clean look of the 1100. I just have no clue about the quality in general - is it generally a solid choice or a piece of crap? I haven't been able to find much in the way of reviews or forums on it (don't know if that's a good or bad sign). We've also considered Napoleons EPI3 model, although it is considerably more expensive. Jotuls c550 and Morso's 5660 are others we've looked into a bit.

We've also considered a non-flush model but aren't sure how that would look/work with only a 13" hearth.

Any feedback or advise is appreciated.

Flush inserts rely heavily on the blower to provide good heat. The blower must be cleaned regularly of dust, pet hairs etc.. Unfortunately the 1100 insert's blowers are a the back of the insert which has it running hotter and it means the insert needs to have the bricks and an interior access panel removed in order to clean the blower. On the positive side, the 1100 has an ashlip which helps stop ash from being sucked into the blower. The Morso 5660 is a good lpoking unit and well made. It has the same weakness with a rear mounted blower that is hard to reach and it has no ashlip so one must be vigilant with cleaning up spilled ashes.

There is supposed to be 16" of hearth in front of the stove door. Perhaps a simple hearth extension pad on the floor would open up to more choices?

Other flush units to consider if they will fit are the Osburn Matrix, Regency Alterra, and Pacific Energy Neo 1.6.

Flush inserts rely heavily on the blower to provide good heat. The blower must be cleaned regularly of dust, pet hairs etc.. Unfortunately the 1100 insert's blowers are a the back of the insert which has it running hotter and it means the insert needs to have the bricks and an interior access panel removed in order to clean the blower. On the positive side, the 1100 has an ashlip which helps stop ash from being sucked into the blower. The Morso 5660 is a good lpoking unit and well made. It has the same weakness with a rear mounted blower that is hard to reach and it has no ashlip so one must be vigilant with cleaning up spilled ashes.

There is supposed to be 16" of hearth in front of the stove door. Perhaps a simple hearth extension pad on the floor would open up to more choices?

Other flush units to consider if they will fit are the Osburn Matrix, Regency Alterra, and Pacific Energy Neo 1.6.

Thanks for the input! Those are definitely things to consider and I had heard something about the rear blower being a pain when it comes to cleaning it.
We will also look into some of the non-flush (protruding?) styles as I will likely need a hearth extension pad regardless. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.