napoleon 1100c

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mepellet

Minister of Fire
Aug 10, 2011
Central ME
Less than 2 cu ft firebox? (1.7 cu ft) is a little smaller than I would like? If your looking at heating while away or asleep, then a larger firebox is necessary. If your gonna be home? Then it should work fine...

The $700 price is close to the 30-NC when it's on sale.

The 30 from amfmenergy is less than $1,000 shipped free.... And is a hell of a unit.
http://www.amfmenergy.com/50tnc30----epa-certified-noncatalytic-wood-stove--2250302201.html

(Workin on PM, just signed on)

The cast Nappy's are some of the original cast jacketed stoves.

Less than 2 cu ft firebox? (1.7 cu ft) is a little smaller than I would like? If your looking at heating while away or asleep, then a larger firebox is necessary. If your gonna be home? Then it should work fine...

The $700 price is close to the 30-NC when it's on sale.

The 30 from amfmenergy is less than $1,000 shipped free.... And is a hell of a unit.
http://www.amfmenergy.com/50tnc30----epa-certified-noncatalytic-wood-stove--2250302201.html

(Workin on PM, just signed on)

Dex- We plan on continuing to run the pellet stove which is in the lowest living level (about 800sf). The wood stove will be in the second of 4 living levels which is about 550sf. (The house has a center staircase that has little “half-flights” of stairs.) Level 3 is about 800sf and 4 is about 250sf. The wood stove will be used to help the pellet stove out in the coming years when our kid(s) move up to the top living level. The pellet stove does a great job at heating levels 1 and 2. Three of the bedrooms are on level 3 and the wife and I like low to mid 60’s for sleeping temperature. The pellet stove handles doing that just fine without overheating the level that it is on (level 1).

But with kids in our future, we want to be able to heat level 3 and 4 during the evening/overnight ours to a slightly higher temperature. I imagine that we will also use the wood stove on days that we are not working and I don’t mind re-feeding it a couple times a day. The 1100c claims a 7 hour burntime. We would also use it during power outages.

We like the glass door look of the 1100c. Other manufacturers have this look as well but I don’t think Englander does. At a price of $700 when they retail new for over twice that for the regular black finish and over 3 times that for the enamel finish, I am wondering if it is worth just buying it for now and if we find that we want a larger firebox, then we could sell it for about the same price we paid and then upgrade to a larger stove.

We currently have a Franklin type stove which from what I am told is very inefficient. This stove heats levels 2 and 3 VERY well but it has to be reloaded every 3 hours at most. We currently keep level 4 closed because noone is living up there. The 1100c would be a big improvement wouldn’t it?

If the stove is in good condition, get the stove and try it out. If you find it too small you will be able to sell it for what you paid for it, or even a little more if it is enameled and in great condition. The 1100c will be a big improvement over the Franklin. It will be a lot cleaner burning, more controllable, nicer looking, has a nice window for the fire view and it will eat a lot less wood for the same amount of heat.

If the stove is in good condition, get the stove and try it out. If you find it too small you will be able to sell it for what you paid for it, or even a little more if it is enameled and in great condition. The 1100c will be a big improvement over the Franklin. It will be a lot cleaner burning, more controllable, nicer looking, has a nice window for the fire view and it will eat a lot less wood for the same amount of heat.

That's what I am figuring. Has there been any changes to the stove design that anyone is aware of since 2005? The door in the sellers picture looks different than what is on the Napoleon's website.

Not sure. I don't recall a door change on the cast model. Is this the 1100p or the 1100c? Can you post the picture? Also, does it include a blower? That's not a show stopper, but will add value.

Not sure. I don't recall a door change on the cast model. Is this the 1100p or the 1100c? Can you post the picture? Also, does it include a blower? That's not a show stopper, but will add value.

I do not know yet if it includes a blower. I have tried uploading a photo. I appreciate the help begreen. Do you think any of the required clearances have changed since 2005? Thanks.

2013-04-08_10-25-53_112.jpg

That looks like the more traditional Napoleon sunburst door style. They still use it on the 1600c.

The stove looks well used so I would want to look at it cleaned out and vacuumed so that it can be closely examined. The main areas to examine are the secondary manifold, but the entire interior of the stove should be checked out for cracks, warping, broken or missing firebrick, etc..

That looks like the more traditional Napoleon sunburst door style. They still use it on the 1600c.

The stove looks well used so I would want to look at it cleaned out and vacuumed so that it can be closely examined. The main areas to examine are the secondary manifold, but the entire interior of the stove should be checked out for cracks, warping, broken or missing firebrick, etc..
Thanks. So the door style has changed then I guess because this is the 1100c not the 1600c.
Seller says it has not been used for over a year and is real dusty because they moved.

My copy of the manual dates to 2010, so I can't say if the clearances have changed. The clearances will be on the UL plate on the back of the stove.

I loved it. Just underestimated my heating needs.
N3pro, what size sticks would you load in the 1100c? On the napoleon website it says 12" but that seems small. The firebox dimensions say 13.5d x 18w x 12h. Couldn't you put up to an 18" stick?

N3pro, what size sticks would you load in the 1100c? On the napoleon website it says 12" but that seems small. The firebox dimensions say 13.5d x 18w x 12h. Couldn't you put up to an 18" stick?

The East to West load may take a longer split
But the North to south load will possibly burn better, because if the natural airflow pattern inside the firebox.

It being under 2 cu ft, 16" would be the Max length I would cut. Thats assuming that your 18" wide inside is accurate. You want at least an inch on each end for wiggle room. My 30 can take over 20" front to back or side to side (Big square box) but I still cut 17.5"-18" for wiggle room. You dont want to be messing around with your arm above a bunch of hot coals. IMO

The East to West load may take a longer split
But the North to south load will possibly burn better, because if the natural airflow pattern inside the firebox.

It being under 2 cu ft, 16" would be the Max length I would cut. Thats assuming that your 18" wide inside is accurate. You want at least an inch on each end for wiggle room. My 30 can take over 20" front to back or side to side (Big square box) but I still cut 17.5"-18" for wiggle room. You dont want to be messing around with your arm above a bunch of hot coals. IMO
I agree. Most of the wood i have is 16" and that is a good manageable size for the wife. I have about a cord of three year old oak that is 20". Guess ill have to cut that up smaller....

I have this stove and love it. N3pro helped me quite a bit when we first got ours but once I got the hang of it, it's a great stove. I get 17" wood in there as long as it the split is cut kind of small. We also bought ours used, so we had to replace all of the bricks, baffles and added a blower, highly recommend that. Since this is a welded steel box with cast iron pieces over it, before you buy it, take the cast pieces off (a few screws and rod on the door) and inspect the welds. We were warned that they could be cracked but ours were ok.

I'm only heating about 1,000 sq feet and until the past few days, we have been burning since the end of September as the nights got chilly 24/7. Even with the BEST wood, I use a lot of kiln dried, don't expect more than about 5-6 hours of radiant heat but even after 10 hrs, I've had enough coals to re-light without a match. I work from home so it's easy to maintain as our primary heat source. If I wasn't home all day, it wouldn't work well for all day heat.

With a small firebox, you have to get good wood in there, believe me, even so-so wood with pallet wood pieces will give you a migraine fighting with it.

I see them on line from 1,500 -1,800 depending on the finish, we paid $500 for a majolica brown enameled one from a friend but I would easily pay $700 if I needed another one and knew it was in good shape.

Enjoy!

I have this stove and love it. N3pro helped me quite a bit when we first got ours but once I got the hang of it, it's a great stove. I get 17" wood in there as long as it the split is cut kind of small. We also bought ours used, so we had to replace all of the bricks, baffles and added a blower, highly recommend that. Since this is a welded steel box with cast iron pieces over it, before you buy it, take the cast pieces off (a few screws and rod on the door) and inspect the welds. We were warned that they could be cracked but ours were ok.

I'm only heating about 1,000 sq feet and until the past few days, we have been burning since the end of September as the nights got chilly 24/7. Even with the BEST wood, I use a lot of kiln dried, don't expect more than about 5-6 hours of radiant heat but even after 10 hrs, I've had enough coals to re-light without a match. I work from home so it's easy to maintain as our primary heat source. If I wasn't home all day, it wouldn't work well for all day heat.

With a small firebox, you have to get good wood in there, believe me, even so-so wood with pallet wood pieces will give you a migraine fighting with it.

I see them on line from 1,500 -1,800 depending on the finish, we paid $500 for a majolica brown enameled one from a friend but I would easily pay $700 if I needed another one and knew it was in good shape.

Enjoy!
Thanks hearth mistress! I really appreciate the help. Apparently the white spot on the front is residue from a sticker. I think that should be able to be cleaned up. I would be real happy if there were coals to light up another fire after 10 hours.

How much does the blower cost? Do you remember?

A new blower typically will be $200-250. I would try the stove without one first. Its natural convection may work fine in your house.

Yes, As BG says above about $200 from the local dealer, few screws, plug her in, done.

I needed a fan because mine in installed under steps that are just literally blocks of wood bolted together (with proper clearances of course) so with their open design, the heat was going right up the stairs. The blower kicks on automatically as there is a magnetic sensor that goes on the steel box itself. Once it's on, unless you rig up a switch otherwise, the only way to turn it off is to unplug it.

It is a great stove for us but neighbor giggles at it as he has a much bigger home he heats with a Jotel Oslo so when we split wood, he laughs that I have to cut mine so small for my "toy stove"

We installed the stove January 2012 so we only had a few months before we hit shoulder season. I will warm you that I have gone through over 4 cords of wood, almost 2 of which were mixed hardwood kiln dried I bought and just about 2 cords of 1 yr css ash with some 2 yr css black walnut we were given. It has a small firebox yes, but burning 24/7 we totally under estimated our wood needs - this being our first "full" season. Now, we know :)

Coals are really good with the kiln dried wood even at the ten hour mark but even 8 hrs or so from a load of ash works well too. It is a small firebox but fire it up, cut back the air a little at a time and it will coast at flue temps easily around 700 for several hours before you need to reload.

Oh, speaking of flue temps, you will need a prob thermometer installed into your stove pipe above the stove as this being a cast covered stove, the magnetic stove tops ones are useless.

Good Luck!

Yes, As BG says above about $200 from the local dealer, few screws, plug her in, done.

I needed a fan because mine in installed under steps that are just literally blocks of wood bolted together (with proper clearances of course) so with their open design, the heat was going right up the stairs. The blower kicks on automatically as there is a magnetic sensor that goes on the steel box itself. Once it's on, unless you rig up a switch otherwise, the only way to turn it off is to unplug it.

It is a great stove for us but neighbor giggles at it as he has a much bigger home he heats with a Jotel Oslo so when we split wood, he laughs that I have to cut mine so small for my "toy stove"

We installed the stove January 2012 so we only had a few months before we hit shoulder season. I will warm you that I have gone through over 4 cords of wood, almost 2 of which were mixed hardwood kiln dried I bought and just about 2 cords of 1 yr css ash with some 2 yr css black walnut we were given. It has a small firebox yes, but burning 24/7 we totally under estimated our wood needs - this being our first "full" season. Now, we know :)

Coals are really good with the kiln dried wood even at the ten hour mark but even 8 hrs or so from a load of ash works well too. It is a small firebox but fire it up, cut back the air a little at a time and it will coast at flue temps easily around 700 for several hours before you need to reload.

Oh, speaking of flue temps, you will need a prob thermometer installed into your stove pipe above the stove as this being a cast covered stove, the magnetic stove tops ones are useless.

Good Luck!
Thanks HM! I really appreciate the advice. I have not seen a probe type thermometer. I will have to look into them!

Thanks HM! I really appreciate the advice. I have not seen a probe type thermometer. I will have to look into them!
$25 bucks will give you peace of mind you are burning your stove properly until you get used to it. There ay be other brands and the face on mine is a little different but here it is:
image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.