Napoleon 1100C

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

damien

Woodlove
Jan 13, 2006
SE Misouri
I was wondering if anybody would give me their opinion about the Napoleon 1100C cast iron model. Pro's, Con's? We are thinking about installing one in our house next week. Thanks.

I am in the exact same position as you. How big is your house? Ill be watching for response to your post.

I have an 1100c. This was was my first stove and I would buy it again. At the same time I find its not the perfect stove for me. I bought it because I live in an older farm style house with small rooms and a somewhat broken up layout. I needed something that wasn't going to take up a whole room. I was doing a corner install and the 2" clearance to combustibles was the main selling point. After using it I found it really does not get hot on the sides and back. Though I have about 9" on the corners. This stove will throw some heat for its size.

Living in a drafty house it does a nice job of keeping me warm as long as its not to windy and below 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Mostly the wind is a factor. I can load it at 10 PM and have some coals left in the morning to get a new fire going. This stove can put out some heat. But a five hour burn time about the most you should expect.

Now what I find is not so perfect for me is first I wish I went bigger. On those cold and windy nights I wish I could crank it up more. Second down side is it seems to need to be tended to to much when its is loaded. I want to load it and and in about 1/2 hour be able to leave it. Maybe its my wood or my technique but it seems to need a lot of adjustments for the first hour or so, sometimes longer. It also seem to like running hot. The specs say 250 to 450 internal stack temp but it seems to be happier in the 400 to 650 stack temp range. This bothered me for some time, but I've become more comfortable with it over time. Third make sure your dealer will be able to help you in the event you have issues. I found Napoleon dealers are slim because of their willingness to sell over the Internet under cutting the dealers prices. Parts seem easier to get over the Internet also.

I live in South Jersey and cut my fuel oil bill by 2/3 burning about 3.5 cords a year. All in all I'm happy with my stove and thats whats counts most.

Status
Not open for further replies.