Napoleon 1101 and 35 foot liner, some questions before I buy.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffoc

Oct 3, 2008
Blandinsville, IL
After 2 years of measuring, research and wood gathering I've finally found that pretty much the biggest insert I can install is the Napoleon 1101. And even with that I've got to do some "customizing".
My questions are mainly about the liner, I can fit a 6" but a 5.5 would be so much easier, my chimney is huge but has a least 3 flues in it all are blocked off at this point. With a 35' run do you think I would have any problems going down to 5.5?

Also, I'm installing the liner myself and renting a lift. Can anyone give me an idea of about how much that length of liner will weigh?

Thanks for all the help and information I've gotten here, between the search and just asking I've gotten tons of help from this site.

Jeffoc, is this still the same location that you posted about a few years ago with the shallow fireplace? I would go for the 5.5" It will still draft strongly.

But I would still try for a larger insert if possible. I searched but did not find any posted pictures of the fireplace. Could you post them so that we can see what you are seeing. There may be better alternatives.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/24443/

Yes it is a very shallow fireplace. 14" at the bottom 11" at the top. I had the wife sold on the 1402 by napoleon but when I got to the serious measuring the mantle will not clear by 5 inches.
I need a flush fit because there are wooden pillars on either side, within 6" and although I would be willing to rip them out, others in the house see it differently.

It's going to take some work but I think I can get the depth I need with the 1101.

I don't have any pictures right now, I'm at work but I will try to get some up. I think that the fireplace was originally used for coal.

I hear ya. So a mantel shield won't work? Did you also compare the Lopi Answer? Go with the 5.5 liner and best of luck.

This is a very similar mantle that I found on google. The pillars on mine come out to almost the edge of the heart though and the bottoms 4 inches are solid at the base.

The opening is much shallower.

Attachments

• Fireplace 2.jpg
    Fireplace 2.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 108
We did look at the answer, but I think the 1101 with the cast iron surround looks better.
5.5" it is thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.