Napoleon 1400 glass fogging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

revdocjim

Burning Hunk
Sep 7, 2015
Japan
I recently replaced the airwash gasket and shield on my Napoleon 1400 as the previous one had completely disintegrated. The stove was given to me and I've used it for one full season before noticing the deterioration. The gasket is a sheet type and not the rope type used on doors etc. Installation was a bit tricky just because I couldn't really see what I was doing. The gasket is the same size as the metal shield but I'm wondering if the gasket slipped slightly out of place while putting the shield on because I've used the stove twice since then and both times the bottom left and right corners of my glass are getting quite dirty, suggesting that the airwash is partially blocked. Does anyone have experience with this stove or other similar ones. Next time the stove is cold I'll try to get in there and inspect but it's a really hard place to see, right above the door, on the inside of the firebox.

I'm pretty green, only been burning 1 season on my napolean 1402, but from what I read, dirty glass is from moist wood and/or low temps. What is your wood situation compared to last year? Temps lower, draft look different?

If the 1402 is the insert version of the 1400, I do no recall another gasket besides the door gasket and the one on top, on the outside of the stove. Mine does not have another gasket on the front top shield (what ever it is called) unless I cannot get to it.

Thanks. My wood is at 20% or below so I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem. And the fogging is just in the corners so I'm inclined to think something is blocking the airwash. Your 1402 has the same or very similar part, but it isn't visible without sticking your head in the stove. Look at this link of replacement parts for the 1402 and you'll see the part I'm talking about. It's the second from the top. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/na...wood-insert-parts-c-182799_185675_185683.html

Status
Not open for further replies.