Napoleon 1400?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfishco

Jan 20, 2008
colorado
The 1400 is on top of my buy list. May be making the purchase next weekend. If you have one, what are your pros and cons? Can it heat 1700 square feet? Do you use a blower? How are the burn times? What is a good temperature to run it at? Thanks for your time and info, Mark.

I've got the 1100 insert and love it. I heat about 1000 sf. I can get overnight (7hr ) burns. I run it as hot as I can get it (950 in the firebox)

I've got an 1100 and it's my first wood stove so I have nothing else to compare it to. Looking at my spec sheet, my stove heats 600-1200 sq ft, while the 1400 does 1000-1800 sq ft. I think my stove is fairly well built. My complaints would be some of the materials inside, how quickly they've deteriorated. Now that may be due to what I've burned or burning style, I don't know. Some of the bricks have worn down quite a bit in just a few years. Their still usable, not broken, but just that they've deteriorated (gotten a bit smaller). I also have had to replace my door gasket and window gasket after a couple of years of operation. The guy/jerk I bought the replacement gaskets from was surprised I needed them, but then again he was surprised I wanted brushes for cleaning out the chimney pipes also - he was a bit weird. Since the gaskets were replaced a couple of years ago, no problems since. All in all a pretty good stove so far.

Jake said:
I've got the 1100 insert and love it. I heat about 1000 sf. I can get overnight (7hr ) burns. I run it as hot as I can get it (950 in the firebox)

Jake I didn't say anything when you posted the pictures but now I have to since you are posting those temps. Infrared thermos are in no way accurate on reflective surfaces or through glass. The bricks inside my firebox at this moment are at 1,065 degrees and shooting through the glass shows 732 degrees. You want firebox temp, open the door.

Your firebox has to be over 1,000 degrees before the secondary burn will start.

Status
Not open for further replies.