Napoleon 1402 - First Burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierre902

Dec 23, 2009
Wiscasset, Maine
Last night I loaded up the stove for the first time and it started pretty easily with some nice dry oak. The temp rose to a max of about 500 degrees. The draft control in the front worked very well. There was a noticeable difference in the burn when adjusting the draft. After about an hour the temp came down to about 300 and evened out nicely with some glowing coals and dancing flame. No blowers yet, because I received a deal on the floor model from a dealer and he parted out the blowers. Blowers come in next week along with installation. Even without blowers the stove throws some heat. I did notice the chemical smell from the paint along with a little smoke securedownload.jpg but today I have a small fire going and no smell at all.

One concern I have is how hot the floor in front of the stove gets. There is solid brick with granite tile over it on the floor in front of it. The clearance from the front of the stove to the Pergo floor is 16 inches. You can stand barefoot on the tile in front, but it feels very hot and you can't stand long. The heat transferring from the bottom of the stove to the hearth is definetly transferring to the bricks and tile. One thought I had is that when the blowers begin to get used it will transfer some of that heat away from the stove and could help. I don't know, but for now I will monitor the and maybe get a temp gauge.

Yes, this insert will get the hearth warm. Can you see the underside of the hearth in the basement?

Difficult to see due to some old drywall over the floor joists, but carved out a hole investigating and can see concrete underneath extending about 16inches from the block base of the chimney.

They probably filled the joist space with cement. If it's solid cement and there is no wood cross bracing underneath, directly inline with the door, it probably is ok.

I'll be opening up the entire underside to make sure. My previous pellet stove didn't throw nearly the heat that this stove does. I'm already glad I converted but my wife thinks I'm nuts. All I do is look at wood on the side of the road. Now I know why my father use to have stacks of woodpiles in the backyard as a kid. It's addicting!

This web site has been a great source of information and I do appreciate your input.

Nice setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.