Napoleon 1402 insert queston

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corriewf

Dec 2, 2009
Central VA
Hey all!

Am thinking about selling my Vogelzang colonial for an insert that might heat my whole house. I was quoted a price on a 1402 with a gold door at $1605... Seems like a good deal to me. My problem? I have a hearth that is about 24 inches. The manual figure shows the stove coming out about 9 inches on the hearth which would put me under 16 inches from the front of the glass. I was wanting to know how far this puppy comes out onto the hearth? Can it be pushed back a little further. I am only short about an inch or so and dont want to extend the hearth.

Thanks!

I easily put 17.5" splits NS in my 1450 (same size firebox). It's 18 X 18 X 12 so, the diagonal measurement s/b something like 25.4" less whatever the diameter of the split at both ends, so I would guess something like 21-22" small to medium splits would fit diagonal. Will depend on the size of the split to fit into the diagonal corner.

IIRC the 16" is from the front of the firebox, not the glass - think that buys you a little. I would send Napoleon an email to ask if it can slide in a little more or for some more detailed dimensions / drawings.

Thank you for the info. I have some splits that were a tad too long for the vogelzang. How far onto the hearth does your stove stick out?

Mine is the 1450 free standing stove, not the insert. Has the same firebox as the 1402. If it helps, the main stove body is the same size as the 1402. On my 1450, the depth include the handle. From the rear heat shield to the fron of the firebox is 23".

KB007 said:
Mine is the 1450 free standing stove, not the insert. Has the same firebox as the 1402. If it helps, the main stove body is the same size as the 1402. On my 1450, the depth include the handle. From the rear heat shield to the fron of the firebox is 23".

Sorry, I was reading your post as I was going down the road. Thanks so much for the info! How well does your 1450 heat?

It does a good job in most cases. When the temps drop to below -15C (about 0F - ish) it can't keep up and the furnace will kick in at those temps. It's in the basement of our 1800 sqft bungalow (plus 1800 sqft finshed basement) and we get good heat upstairs with some floor registers. If it was the only way to make heat in the house, we might have a few cool-ish evenings each winter. We're quite happy with it, good quality and no issues so far.

We are planing on installing an insert upstairs in our LR, only because we have the fireplace there and I hated using the LP gas insert. I opted for the Rgency I3100 for upstairs, only to have the largest firebox I can get for my opening, and in some bizarre sort of "don't want all my eggs in one basket way" of having two from the same MFG. I looked at the 1402 a few times and was seriously considering it, except my wife thought it looked too plain jane for the LR (the sorround is pretty plain), and as I said I wanted a bigger firebox for the LR.

How big is your house (sqft)?

KB007 said:
It does a good job in most cases. When the temps drop to below -15C (about 0F - ish) it can't keep up and the furnace will kick in at those temps. It's in the basement of our 1800 sqft bungalow (plus 1800 sqft finshed basement) and we get good heat upstairs with some floor registers. If it was the only way to make heat in the house, we might have a few cool-ish evenings each winter. We're quite happy with it, good quality and no issues so far.

We are planing on installing an insert upstairs in our LR, only because we have the fireplace there and I hated using the LP gas insert. I opted for the Rgency I3100 for upstairs, only to have the largest firebox I can get for my opening, and in some bizarre sort of "don't want all my eggs in one basket way" of having two from the same MFG. I looked at the 1402 a few times and was seriously considering it, except my wife thought it looked too plain jane for the LR (the sorround is pretty plain), and as I said I wanted a bigger firebox for the LR.

How big is your house (sqft)?

Wow thats a lot of heat man! What temps do you get in the LR now? I think the 1402 looks plain too but my budget is around 1500 and for 1600 they will throw in the gold door. :) Not a bad price right? I was looking at the Osburn 2200 which I can get at a good price of 1899 but still too much. My house is 1800 square feet and the colonial 1.3 foot box, 130 cfm blower, is heating half of it ok, but the short burn times leave my house cold when I wake up. I can have 70 when I go to sleep and wake up to 58/59 on that side of the house. I use a heat pump on the other side of the house. I would love to heat both sides of the house and not wake up to 59. Think I can do it with this insert? Half of my house was built in 48 and built with cinderblock. It gets cold fast.

It might heat the whole house, but it might not. Depends a lot on air circulation, insulation etc. I can't say for sure if that's a good deal, I don't know much about pricing in the US. Does that price include the blower as well? When I priced the insert up here it was going to be 2200 CDN$ (currently about .90 CDN = 1.00 US) including door, blower, trim.

We usually get anywhere from 68-76 in the LR and a few degrees colder in the bedrooms (down a long hallways). I'm hoping with the new insert in the LR we'll be able to get more heat in the bedrooms (one of which is my home office) and control the heat in the LR. If it's 72 when we go to bed, it's usually 66-68 in the morning. Re-lights are a breeze, as there's usually lots of coals left to get it going. I added another R30 on top of R20 in our attic last year and that made a big difference in heat retention.

Only thing I would maybe think about would be looking for a larger insert if this is your only one in the house. The common theme seems to be "you can build a small fire in a big firebox, but not the other way round". The 1402 is almost twice the size of your current box, so you should be able to get lots of heat and definitiely longer burn times. As for the hearth depth, I would have to believe you can slide it back a little, even if the mounting screws are at a fixed depth, you can surely figure out a way to mount the trim with it a little deeper. You're not allowed to modify the box, but you can modify the trim to fit your needs.

If you can fit it, you might want to at least price out the Regency I3100 or PE Summit. Regency is having a free blower promo right now, and with that the price I'm paying is about the same as the 1402 would have been for me.

I have heated with the 1401 for 12 years. 1401 is the earlier version of the 1402 with different fans. My hearth is 20" and the front of the ash lip is 8 1/2" from the edge. I consider this to be a nearly perfect arrangement. Your additional 4" will be perfect.

I heat a 2900 sq ft well insulated home with this stove as the primary heat source. I burn 200-300 gallons of oil each winter to supplement.

ControlFreak said:
I have heated with the 1401 for 12 years. 1401 is the earlier version of the 1402 with different fans. My hearth is 20" and the front of the ash lip is 8 1/2" from the edge. I consider this to be a nearly perfect arrangement. Your additional 4" will be perfect.

I heat a 2900 sq ft well insulated home with this stove as the primary heat source. I burn 200-300 gallons of oil each winter to supplement.

2900 sq ft!?!? Wow man! And it actually heated that area ok?

Ok, final price quote: 1635 for gold plated door and webbed with surround and blowers etc. Should I wait till summer like a buddy said or is this the cheapest I can get this stove?

Corriewf said:
Ok, final price quote: 1635 for gold plated door and webbed with surround and blowers etc. Should I wait till summer like a buddy said or is this the cheapest I can get this stove?

I think that's a real good price. This is my first season heating with the 1402. Really like it, heats my poorly insulated 1600 sf ranch nicely. Heated the house when the power went out a few weeks ago. Just made sure I didn't load it up too full since the blowers weren't on.

Squiner said:
Corriewf said:

I think that's a real good price. This is my first season heating with the 1402. Really like it, heats my poorly insulated 1600 sf ranch nicely. Heated the house when the power went out a few weeks ago. Just made sure I didn't load it up too full since the blowers weren't on.

Ok just ordered it. Should be here next wed. I am worried about this stove heating my house. How long are your burn times? How long will the fan stay on? Ever woke up to it still putting out some heat? How are the temps in your house?

Thanks!

The blower on my 1450 is still running when I wake up around 5:30 most mornings, it's all coals, but when I open the door it sill gives me a sunburn. Usually gets stuffed full by 9:00 pm the night before.

Just had my 1402 installed yesterday. The actual stove sits out 5 inches past the opening. I don't think it could be put further back in the fireplace opening because where the fans are and the surround fits on has to sit flush with the opening. Its not adjustable. Sounds like a good price. Best price I could get here was $2,961.00 installed, including taxes and cleaning the chimney first. I already had the liner.

KB007 said:
The blower on my 1450 is still running when I wake up around 5:30 most mornings, it's all coals, but when I open the door it sill gives me a sunburn. Usually gets stuffed full by 9:00 pm the night before.

Damn that's 8+ hours! Nice! That's what I needed! I might have that now after 6 hours with the vogelzang, but I have to pack it really tight and say 3 hailmarys. The Vogelzang has been a great stove, but I made the mistake of thinking if I can heat to 70+ the house will retain that heat for a few hours...

boxerdogheidi said:
Just had my 1402 installed yesterday. The actual stove sits out 5 inches past the opening. I don't think it could be put further back in the fireplace opening because where the fans are and the surround fits on has to sit flush with the opening. Its not adjustable. Sounds like a good price. Best price I could get here was $2,961.00 installed, including taxes and cleaning the chimney first. I already had the liner.

Was that price with the gold door etc? I ordered mine off the internet. I tried to go local but no dealer around here for Naps. I can do the install myself and I have a friend that can weld his butt off. I did get my liner from a local dealer though months ago. I think 1635 for webbed gold door everything included and free shipping and no sales tax. With that said, you have a guy that if anything goes wrong will be johnny on the spot. That is worth a lot my friend. I have to worry between now and when I get it, if it will be shipped in good condition.

Corriewf said:
boxerdogheidi said:

Was that price with the gold door etc? I ordered mine off the internet. I tried to go local but no dealer around here for Naps. I can do the install myself and I have a friend that can weld his butt off. I did get my liner from a local dealer though months ago. I think 1635 for webbed gold door everything included and free shipping and no sales tax. With that said, you have a guy that if anything goes wrong will be johnny on the spot. That is worth a lot my friend. I have to worry between now and when I get it, if it will be shipped in good condition.

Corrie, sorry I measured that wrong. Its actually 7 inches past the opening. And the price was with gold door. Blowers are standard.

boxerdogheidi said:
Corriewf said:
boxerdogheidi said:

Corrie, sorry I measured that wrong. Its actually 7 inches past the opening. And the price was with gold door. Blowers are standard.

Well it's a peace of mind to let someone else install it. I was lucky to have a friend help me with my past install. He had recenty purchased a Clydesdale. I bet that insert looks sweet! You broke it in already? Any pics? I also was wondering how mnay secondary tubes it has and if they go north south or east west. Sorry for all the questions but im so excited!

7 inches is perfect. I will have exactly 16 inches of hearth in front of it in that case. Thanks a bunch man!

Status
Not open for further replies.