Napoleon 1402 - Saggy "Ash Lip"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Planethill

Jan 8, 2012
New York
Hey All,

Minor issue with my insert. The "Ash Lip" is loose and as a result sags & rests upon my draft control, making it difficult to operate without holding up the lip. The clearance under the lip is super tight...I can feel a couple screw/bolts with my fingers but can't see them to know what they are. Flat head? Hex? And even if I did know, I cant seem to get a screwdriver under there to tighten them up.

Any else have this issue? It's not a big deal, just an annoyance.

When my Napoleon shipped to me it had the same issue. I tightened them up good before I installed it. They have been fine ever since. Sad thing is i can't remember what screw type they were. I believe they were phillips though. Maybe when you do tighten them apply a little lock-tite to hold them in place.

I have a 1900 and those fender screws can work loose from time to time. I take that fender off and put it in the vise to straighten it back out (I think the newer stoves have a cast fender, mine is the older style sheetmetal fender). Then reinstall, and you can also put lockwashers on the screws to help keep them from getting loose.

Yeah, the problem is the clearance is so tight, I can't get to the screws to tighten or remove them. I would have to pull the insert out and tip it back to get to the screws which is WAY more than the hassle of just lifting the lip.

I guess I will just live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.