Napoleon 1402 vs Lopi Freedom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

minkhollow

Sep 16, 2008
NE PA
I am considering buying an insert and trying to decide between the Napoleon 1402 and Lopi Freedom. I like the Lopi's larger firebox, viewing window and the option of having a screen. However, the 1402 is alot cheaper and I see lot's of Freedom reviews saying forget about anything near 12hr burn times. Should I expect longer burn times with the Lopi? Any other considerations? Thanks in advance for any help.

I do not have a Freedom but a very similar stove. That stove can take 24" logs and be packed to the gills with that 2.9 cu ft firebox - and that is how you will get the longest burn times. You will not get great heat for all 12 hours but a the end of 12 hours, there will be plenty to start a new load of wood.

I really only need the long burn time for when i am at work all day. So I get home and get it ripping again. The overnight burns don't need anywhere near 12 hours so that is an easy one.

If you're looking for longer burns, and the fireplace + house size can accommodate a large stove, stick with comparisons of stoves around 3 cu ft in capacity. The Lopi has a good reputation and with the blowers in front, they are more serviceable for cleaning. Other inserts in this size range are the Pacific Energy Summit and Quadrafire 5100i.

Status
Not open for further replies.