Napoleon 1900... I think I'm ready!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vtburner

Nov 5, 2009
Northern Vermont
I think I have finally decided on a new wood stove, the Napoleon 1900. This is a result of several months of research, learning, searching for deals on craigslist, and generally obsessing about replacing my ancient deathtrap of a woodstove. I figured since I put so much time into figuring out which stove would be best for me, I might as well share my conclusions and the features that set the Napoleon apart from the rest for me. Here they are:

-The Numbers: all the specs are very very good, as as good or better than pretty much all the rest in it's class; large firebox (3+ cuft), long burn times (12+ hrs), high BTU, High efficiency (78%+ I believe), super low emissions.

-The Ash Dump - Unique spring loaded ash dump trap door instead of plug(which i decided long ago I would go sans-ashdrawer before I bought a stove with an ash plug), or grates (Which then require a fully sealed ash drawer, which means more gaskets and more places for air leakage to develop)

-The Air Control: The one lever in front not only controls the primary air, but also adjusts the secondary air intake at the same time, keeping both air supplies (supposedly) in proper proportion for better performance. seems like many other stoves have adjustable primary air, but fixed secondary air.

-Adjustable Primary Air intake - supposedly you can adjust the primary air restrictor plate, which will be great for tinkering and/or getting the stove to shut down better if there is too much draft. I guess it's a pain to get at the adjustment though, and I don't know if I'll even mess with it, but it is freakin' nice to have the option.

-THE LOOKS - To me, it is a very sharp looking steel stove; much better looking than the basic plate steel boxes that dominate many of the other brands.

-Highly Convective Design - Full side, rear & top Convection Shrouds for moving air around. Very important to me since I am gonna be trying to heat the whole house and don't want to be cooked out of the room its in. I know some people may prefer a more radiant design but this is a HUGE plus for me... In case you would miss the cooktop surface of a more radiant model, there is an $80 option for a cooktop insert that goes where the top trivet is, so you can have a cooktop AND STILL keep all that convection. Love it, best of both worlds.

-Vortex Reburn System seems like a great concept to me. 2-peice top baffle also seems well engineered and looks like it would be way more effective at creating turbulence/circulation for effective reburning than a lot of other stove's basic flat top baffles (you'd have to look one over to see what I mean on this one). The whole reburn system just seems better thought out than the stoves that just slap burn tubes in the flat top of the stove. (pure feeling/opinion/speculation here, I'm no combustion engineer)

-PRICE - Perfect compromise on price - almost directly in the middle of super-brand-named stoves like PE, QuadraFire, Harmon, Jotul, etc, and super-bargian-brand stoves like Drolet, Englander, Vogelzang, etc. I have been Quoted ~$1525 for a full flat black setup (without the blower though). Waiting on 2nd quote from another shop. Really makes you feel like you are getting a quality stove but aren't paying too much just for a brand stamp.

-Positive reviews/experiences reported by existing Napoleon Owners on this site. Looking forward to joining the ranks!

I'll be pulling the trigger soon, so last minute opinions are welcome. I also hope that this information will help others looking for a new stove consider the napoleon closely. I had overlooked it entirely for about two months while I was researching the more expensive brands, before I came back to it way more educated and discovered all these fantastic features

http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/Stoves/stoves_wood/stoves_wood.html

It's a fine stove, I've sold a handful of them in the past. Never any complaints. $1500 for a 3.0 cubic foot firebox is a good deal. See if you can buy it from a local dealer and have them for support if you need it. Retail on that stove is $1878, so it looks like your getting a good deal.

Local guy down the road just gave me a quote for $1726.20, plus the Blower for free. Thats already better than any of the online retailers once you add the door and blower.

The local guy here is awesome anyway, I think I will be buying it from him when I do. I would have only considered buying local regardless of the price for something like this, for the service/warranty aspect. Plus, its more than worth it to me to support a local small business.

We originally ordered ours from a local dealer, but the high demand kept them from being able to fill the order. We ended up finding one in stock from Flamedepot.com and they were able to have it shipped within 48 hours to us. We did go to the local place for he door and liner kit though. Very pleased with ours and it really does work like the video on their site. A friend of mine in turn ended up buying one too after much research of other brands. Once he saw ours up close and working, he was sold!
I don't know if it's just your model or not, but I didn't see any indication of being able to make further adjustments to the primary air control; although it just requires a quick bending of the stop on the plate; nothing hard to do but I just left mine the way it was; didn't want to mess with the warranty.

vtburner said:
Local guy down the road just gave me a quote for $1726.20, plus the Blower for free. Thats already better than any of the online retailers once you add the door and blower.

The local guy here is awesome anyway, I think I will be buying it from him when I do. I would have only considered buying local regardless of the price for something like this, for the service/warranty aspect. Plus, its more than worth it to me to support a local small business.

You just brought a tear to my eye...well almost. We need more good Americans like you who, if they can afford to, keep the mom and pop shops open if possible. Enjoy the stove

And buy Canadian. ;-P

BeGreen said:
And buy Canadian. ;-P

heyyy, isnt Canada still America? Thats what I tell folks when they ask about my wife, who is from Brazil. I say she is American, I just dont get into specifics unless they ask

As well as Monessen who know owns Vermont Casting

vtburner said:
BeGreen said:
And buy Canadian. ;-P

Napoleon/Wolf Steel has at least one manufacturing plant in the US. Its in Kentucky I believe. Maybe if I'm Lucky my stove, or at least some of its parts, will have come from that facility!

I think I've gotten my PhD on the Napleon 1900. Had it for 2 years now. If/when you need to replace the upper baffles just use 4.5"x9"x1.5" fire brick. The stove was origonally designed for these bricks but because some users were not running hot enough, they got more smoke than expected. The baffles solved this "low heat smoke" problem.

I've made this mod and its working out very well. The brick also adds to the thermal mass of the stove. I've noticed that less ash is produced also.

I get a lot of info/parts/help from the folks at:

Obadiah's Dealership contact
800-968-8604

They are up in Montana, run the Napoleon through the minus 30 degree winters and where one of the origonal distributors of the stove in the U.S.

HeatsTwice said:
I think I've gotten my PhD on the Napleon 1900. Had it for 2 years now. If/when you need to replace the upper baffles just use 4.5"x9"x1.5" fire brick. The stove was origonal designed for these bricks but because some users were not running hot enough, they got more smoke than expected. The baffles solved this "low heat smoke" problem.

I've made this mod and its working out very well. The brick also adds to the thermal mass of the stove. I've noticed that less ash is produced also.

800-968-8604

They are up in Montana, run the Napoleon through the minus 30 degree winters and where one of the origonal distributors of the stove in the U.S.

HT, how long have you been running like this? I have an 1100c which is similar but smaller that always seems to want to run to hot. After looking at the manual I could just use two bricks. Do you think this might help keep my temps down?

We are working on our second winter with the 1900. We have been very happy with it. We can load it up at 5am and return home at 5pm with a nice bed of coals, a nice warn house and an easy fire to get hot again. I haven't found any problems with the stove yet--- the baffles could be a maintenance item. The ash pan works great, the blower is quiet compared to many other brands' and the list of positive attributes is lengthy! Enjoy your 1900!

Hi,

I have been running with the fire bricks (instead of a baffle) for about a week now. I don't notice any more smoke that usual nor do I feel that it is running cooler. I wish I had known about using firebrick as baffles a lot earlier. Up til now, I had been using hardibacker slabs. They only last about 3 weeks (but are very inexpensive to make).

Are the Napoleon baffles expensive? So far I haven't had to replace anything on my stove. Were your baffles damaged or just tired?

They just got kicked around from me, my teenagers (3) and wife putting wood into the stove. Keep in mind I burn a cord a month 24/7 from Halloween to Valentines day ( I work out of my house).

You want to make sure there are no holes in the baffels since it will allow hot air flow (plasma) and reduce the efficiency of the stove and possibly warp it. As soon as you get some, replace it with fire brick. A set of new baffles is $65. A set of 8 fire bricks is $15 or so (4.5" x 9" x 1.5"). And the bricks should last far longer.

Oh yes, I'd had the baffles 2 years before I replaced them.

vtburner said:
BeGreen said:
And buy Canadian. ;-P

Napoleon/Wolf Steel has at least one manufacturing plant in the US. Its in Kentucky I believe. Maybe if I'm Lucky my stove, or at least some of its parts, will have come from that facility!

Correct. It's in Crittenden KY, approximately 30 miles south of Cincinnati and 50 miles north of Lexington.

HeatsTwice said:
I think I've gotten my PhD on the Napleon 1900. Had it for 2 years now. If/when you need to replace the upper baffles just use 4.5"x9"x1.5" fire brick. The stove was origonally designed for these bricks but because some users were not running hot enough, they got more smoke than expected. The baffles solved this "low heat smoke" problem.

800-968-8604

Yes, Obadiah's is great for a Napoleon owner like me. They helped me out this year with needing to replace the airwash gasket and they told me soo much more about our 1402. She even mentioned about how Wolfe Steel uses the standard size fire bricks and to get them from ACE or another hardware. I noticed on a friends new Napoleon that they significantly increased the thickness of those baffles. I love our insert, but was disappointed by the one season failure of the airwash gasket - once that was replaced the air wash works great - just didn't know about it until speaking to them!

HeatsTwice said:
They just got kicked around from me, my teenagers (3) and wife putting wood into the stove. Keep in mind I burn a cord a month 24/7 from Halloween to Valentines day ( I work out of my house).

You want to make sure there are no holes in the baffels since it will allow hot air flow (plasma) and reduce the efficiency of the stove and possibly warp it. As soon as you get some, replace it with fire brick. A set of new baffles is $65. A set of 8 fire bricks is $15 or so (4.5" x 9" x 1.5"). And the bricks should last far longer.

That's a lot of wood you burn through. I never knew that California had as cold of weather to burn that much. Found this on Wiki for that area - is it colder than what this shows?

Month High (°F) Low (°F) Precip. (inches)
January 58 (14°C) 37 (3°C) 6.2 (15.74 cm)
February 63 (17°C) 40 (4°C) 4.64 (11.78 cm)
March 65 (18°C) 41 (5°C) 4.34 (11.02 cm)
April 70 (21°C) 42 (6°C) 1.8 (4.57 cm)
May 75 (24°C) 46 (8°C) 0.31 (0.79 cm)
June 80 (27°C) 50 (10°C) 0.3 (0.76 cm)
July 84 (29°C) 51 (11°C) 0 (0 cm)
August 83 (28°C) 52 (11°C) 0 (0 cm)
September 83 (28°C) 51 (11°C) 0.6 (1.52 cm)
October 77 (25°C) 47 (8°C) 1.86 (4.72 cm)
November 65 (18°C) 42 (6°C) 4.8 (12.2 cm)
December 57 (14°C) 37 (3°C) 4.96 (12.6 c

Yes,

After a fifteen minute conversation with them, I learned all about the stuff which is never mensioned in the manual

Status
Not open for further replies.