Napoleon 1900 Maintenance Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffs

Nov 21, 2005
Central-PA
Doing some maintenance on our Napoleon 1900 and looking for some advice. Our 1900 will be 4 years old this fall, but we only burn on the weekends.

1. Last night I removed the secondary Manifold Shield. I know it needs replaced as it is sagging in the middle, and blocking some of the air holes in the burn tube. One of the bolts sheared off, so not sure best way to handle that. Guess I will drill a new hole and try to tap it. Old hole still has half the bolt in it. Any other suggestions? Is a standard stainless steel bolt sufficient to handle the heat inside a stove?

2. How do you know if you need to replace the Airwash Shield & gasket?

Someone said I should replace the Airwash shield when I replace the manifold shield, is only reason I'm even asking about it. Ours looks okay, and stove burns okay (no air leaks). The manual tells you to check it at the end of each burning season for deterioration. Ours is dirty as the rest of the inside, and has a little surface crust in places (from creosote?), but I don't see anything I would call "deterioration." The bolt heads that hold it on look a little crusty, and I anticipate those possibly shearing off if I try to remove them, so I'm hesitant to even try if I don't need to.

3. Baffles. How worn can you let them get before replacing?

Ours have normal flaking/wear and a couple of 1/4" deep gouges. One has a crack, but crack doesn't go all the way through. Overall, they are still solid, no big chunks broken off or anything. Being 2" thick, a couple of gouges doesn't seem like a big deal. Would furnace cement stick and last on these?

Drilling and tapping a broken bolt is not too hard as long as you have a good approach so that the drill can be straight. It goes pretty quickly with a sharp bit. If the bolt hole does not go all the way through the piece, put a stop on the bit and be sure to use a bottoming tap and not a taper tap.

I'd hold off on the air wash shield and leave the baffles alone for this season. You can fill gaps with furnace cement if desired. No harm.

I've experience all of what you are describing. Please PM me. It will save this board some rants.

In short, the bottom line is: buy your stove and parts from Woody at Obedia's

Status
Not open for further replies.