Napoleon Auger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coachsinc

Dec 27, 2014
Orono, ME
HELP! I must have done something wrong, I replaced the auger motor and auger shaft assembly on my NPS 45 and now the auger is running counter clockwise. How do I fix that?

You've done nothing wrong. You need to flip the coil/stator on the motor. There is info about how to do that here, or on YouTube. Do a search. It's simple and easy, but you'll have to pull the motor out to do it.

Here's one video:

Check your work - does the armature turn with your fingers? You have to get everything lined up just right as you reassemble it. I think you may just have something misaligned. Try turning the armature after you assemble the motor again. It should turn very easily.

Thank you Heat Seeker...I will double check everything and give it a go. Do the leads need to stay in the same place? As I view the motor from the back of the stove the red wire was on the right and the black on the left.

The orientation of the leads doesn't matter. If it did, you could just switch them to reverse direction, but we're not so lucky :rolleyes:.

The orientation of the leads doesn't matter. If it did, you could just switch them to reverse direction, but we're not so lucky :rolleyes:.
Thanks Heat Seeker. I reversed the coil again ( back to where it was originally ) and still have nothing with this motor. My next step is to bench test it to see if it is good. At my wits end here. I replaced the vacuum switch before buying the auger motor. What else might cause the auger to shut down? High limit switch?

Can you turn the armature with your fingers? I'm not familiar with your stove, but a lack of vacuum, and the high limit would keep the auger from turning. Also, if you have one, the hopper door switch. What has changed since the motor ran backwards, other than your reversing the coil? Are all the doors on the stove shut tightly? Exhaust fan running full speed?

BAD MOTOR from the distributer. They replaced it and I am up and running. Thanks for responding and trying to help. Frigen cold here in Maine last week

Okay, glad you got it going. And thanks for the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.